Bulletin for 6.5x284 Norma for Elk

Try 142 gr Nosler AB and 156 Oryx. I do have one 500 yd, one shot kill on Elk using a Berger bullet in 7mm Rem Mag and that was impressive. That said, I've never quite warmed up to that "explosive thing" of Bergers--not my personal "go to" but experimenting with several calibers. I also have not drank the Hammer Kool-Aid but gonna try some soon just to see what that's all about. I personally like to keep my shots to 500 yds or less just because I like to be more sure of the shot...that's just me. A miss on a 1000 yd gong doesn't cost anything...a wounded or missed Elk on $7500.00 hunt is a bit of a hickie. And a lot has to go right once you get past 500 yds in hunting conditions to get those Vegas odds on good shot placement and bullet performance. Train for a 1000 yds shot, then get in to 300...my style. A 6.5-284 is however, a wholly adequate Elk rifle IMO. Good luck.

I shoot the 140 in my 6.5-284 but am going to see how it does with the 156. See if your rifle will group the 156 and what velocities you get. I've read numerous threads of guys having good success with RL26 and the 156 out of 6.5-284 and getting velocities between 2900-3000 FPS. If it does well in your rig I'd opt for the heavier bullet. A buddy of mine took his 350 bull at 510 yards with his and a 140 Berger, 1 shot.

Last edited:
Try 142 gr Nosler AB and 156 Oryx. I do have one 500 yd, one shot kill on Elk using a Berger bullet in 7mm Rem Mag and that was impressive. That said, I've never quite warmed up to that "explosive thing" of Bergers--not my personal "go to" but experimenting with several calibers. I also have not drank the Hammer Kool-Aid but gonna try some soon just to see what that's all about. I personally like to keep my shots to 500 yds or less just because I like to be more sure of the shot...that's just me. A miss on a 1000 yd gong doesn't cost anything...a wounded or missed Elk on $7500.00 hunt is a bit of a hickie. And a lot has to go right once you get past 500 yds in hunting conditions to get those Vegas odds on good shot placement and bullet performance. Train for a 1000 yds shot, then get in to 300...my style. A 6.5-284 is however, a wholly adequate Elk rifle IMO. Good luck.
Never had a failure with 168 vld berger 14 elk later I'm not going to switch they all died right were I shot them up to 700 yds

I just read all of this over on the Haus Of Arms site. This is where I get some of my Encore barrels, frames and parts.
He put together a 6.5x284 Norma Encore Single Shot they named "The Mutt" because of all of the different parts, Stainless, Blued and laminate stock. The owner of HOA took his family to Africa with this rifle and here is the list of what they took with the 6.5x284 using the Hornady ELDX 143 grain bullet.
Here is a list of what he took with this rifle - The "OGS" after each animal means "One Good Shot"
I would not be afraid to take this round on any Elk hunt since part of these animals weigh more than most elk.

Red Hartebeast - 380 yds-Marty - THE MUTT OGS

Impala - 300 yds-Marty - THE MUTT OGS

Black Wildebeest - 326 yds-Marty - THE MUTT OGS

Blesbuck -165 yds-Ruth - THE MUTT OGS

Warthog - 40 yds-Marty - 375JDJ Pistol OGS

Duiker - 273 yds-Marty - THE MUTT OGS

ELAND - 350 yds-Marty - THE MUTT OGS

Springbuck - 240 yds-Eric - THE MUTT OGS

KUDU - 597 yds-Eric - THE MUTT OGS

Gemsbuck - 260 yds-Ruth - THE MUTT OGS

Springbuck - 425 yds-Marty - THE MUTT OGS

Black Wildebeest - 400/440 yds-Eric - THE MUTT OGS

Mike

Why the 140 VLD over the 156 EOL?

Is it because there's been a lot more experience with the 140 due to the more recent release of the 156?

140 Berger has been my go to for several years in my 6.5/284.

Recently I've not been getting a pass through even on small Texas whitetail and certainly not on beefier animals like Axis and hogs.

If I were going for elk, given my recent experiences with the Berger I would not use it. I would lean more toward a bonded bullet like the Scirocco, Accubond or Accubond LR or a mono like a Barnes or Hammer.

I would go with the 156 Berger if your gun will shoot them. Next I would try 142 LRABs, then 140 Berger Elites, then 143 EDLX. I have never used the 156 but i think they would be great. I have killed elk with the other 3 and I wouldn't hesitate to use any of them.

I have never used a Berger before. I have been using Accubonds for quite sometime now and they work flawlessly. Prior to the Accubonds my go to bullet was the Ballistic Tip. The Accubonds are just as accurate but seem to hold up better than the BT. I have never shot an elk before but I am positive the Accubond would work great.

I forgot to mention all of my experiences with the BT have been using a 130 grain BT in my 270 Winchester. It has never failed me.. I now use a 6.5/284 with a 140 Accubond. I love it.

I will be the naysayer on Berger's and heavy game. The problems I have seen are never on the long shots, but the ones that are too close. Explosive fragmentation and lack of penetration if the bullet is going too fast or hits the wrong spot. Seen a few elk lost ( by others) because of it. So, just be aware of your ballistics and shot placement, but that goes for everything.

For me it's a monolithic bullet or at least bonded, and I like to break bones.

Last edited:
I will be the naysayer on Berger's and heavy game. The problems I have seen are never on the long shots, but the ones that are too close. Explosive fragmentation and lack of penetration if the bullet is going too fast or hits the wrong spot. Seen a few elk lost because of it. So, just be aware of your ballistics and shot placement, but that goes for everything.

For me it's a monolithic bullet or at least bonded, and I like to break bones.
With shots under 150 yards using Berger's, you want either a neck shot or a rear lung shot due to its frangible nature and possible "blow up". Once past 150 yards, they come into their own. Best is you limit your range to 2000 fps threshold, although they will perform down to 1800 fps.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.