Bulletin for 6.5x284 Norma for Elk

Berger usage by yardage is of course entirely relative—based on MV.

What is the velocity threshold at which Berger's are too explosive/fragment? I see from the above post the lower velocity bookend is 1800-2000fps, I'm wondering what the upper end is for non-neck shots.

I shoot the 140 Berger or 124 Hammers, we've been using the 140 from coyotes to Alaskan bull moose in multiple calibers and they've been phenomenal, only caught them in a couple out of dozens of elk and one bull moose, never had one stop in a deer.

Berger usage by yardage is of course entirely relative—based on MV.

What is the velocity threshold at which Berger's are too explosive/fragment? I see from the above post the lower velocity bookend is 1800-2000fps, I'm wondering what the upper end is for non-neck shots.
Some years back, Berger told me that their bullets perform best at velocities below 3000 fps, with more controlled expansion from 2800 fps down to 2200-2000 fps. At shorter ranges, the bullet will tend to pin hole on thin skinned game and bow up with very shallow penetration on heavier bodied game at velocities above 3000 fps.

One of the harshest impacts I put a 140 Berger into was a heavy quartering away and an extreme up angle, hit her at just under 2900 fps right in the heaviest shoulder bone and joint, bullet broke her shoulder then trashed some ribs and all the arteries at the front of her chest cavity and I found it half way up her neck on the of side, cow car wheeled down hill and slide to a stop 10 yards in front of me.
My buddy shot a nice AK bull moose frontal shot, bullet ended up in the of side flank, he made one step and couldn't move so he hit him center of the neck, bullet shattered his neck and was under the hide in the of side, increasable penetration!!

I believe this out of a prc. Notice the massive blood loss coming out of the chest 156 Berger.

Hornady eldx or berger in a 1in 8 twist. In the boiler wait for the right shot . If you want to shot marginal quartering shots etc. Move up in caliber.
Because a wider bullet has better sectional density? 🙄. I shot an elk quartering away at over 500 yards with a 6.5 prc and it dropped like a sack of bricks. Heavy 6.5's have great sectional density and penetration with the right bullets. I was shooting the 143gr eldx. If you can't make the shot with a 6.5x284 - you probably shouldnt take it with any caliber or cartridge. Animals just keep getting tougher and tougher every year. Must be something in the water.

I've never shot an elk but I have shot a few big mule deer and a bunch of whitetail. Shot placement is always critical no matter the caliber. However, I can say from my experience the larger caliber always seems to be more instantaneous. I've killed most lately with a 7mm Rem mag and it's devastating compared to my 6.5 Creed. Sectional density is only part of the equation on a bullet and it's terminal velocity. A larger caliber like a .308 with heavy for caliber bullet like a 215 Berger in a 300 win mag will definitely handle angles and those oh crap situations better than a 140 in a 6.5. There's just too many variables in saying one caliber is better than the other based on a single aspect of the bullet. But the 6.5-284 is plenty of gun to get the job done if the shot is placed in the vitals and the bullet makes it to them. There'sa cool video on YouTube of a guy from Hornady killing a nice bull at 600 yds with a complete pass through with a 129 grain interbond. Be a good one to check out. Good luck when you go.

One of the harshest impacts I put a 140 Berger into was a heavy quartering away and an extreme up angle, hit her at just under 2900 fps right in the heaviest shoulder bone and joint, bullet broke her shoulder then trashed some ribs and all the arteries at the front of her chest cavity and I found it half way up her neck on the of side, cow car wheeled down hill and slide to a stop 10 yards in front of me.
My buddy shot a nice AK bull moose frontal shot, bullet ended up in the of side flank, he made one step and couldn't move so he hit him center of the neck, bullet shattered his neck and was under the hide in the of side, increasable penetration!!
From everything I've seen, heard and read, the 140 VLD in a 6.5 seems to be a "perfect storm" of a bullet. The kill spectacularly.

I have some 142g LR Accubonds shooting well out of my 6.5x284 with some impressive speed with RL 26. But I'm hoping to also use the 124g Hammer Hunter for terminal performance.

I shot a cow elk last year with a 6.5-284, 140 grain berger vld in the HSM trophy gold knocked the crap out of her. Ive also seen an elk take 3 from a 300 rum in the guts and walk away. Shot placement is everything! If your norma shoots good it will work great.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.