bullet testing.......

chucksniper

Any ideas for a material to test bullets for terminal performance?

I used wet phone books, but sierra said it's too hard.

I don't feel like dealing with that stuff.... the bullet test tube is a wax
and that seems like less to deal with. But that's 70 bucks.

I was reading about wet sand and saw dust.

Jell-o. When your done, you can eat it.

Okay, seriously, I was thinking about this last night myself. Plain gelatin, mixed thick should work fine. I think ballistics gelatin is great for seeing how a bullet performs, but I think it is too dense to represent how it performs on an animal.

Although, my mind did wander to the idea of going to a local pig farm and buying 1 or 2 whole hogs, dead of course, but not gutted. And again, when your done, you can eat it.

Rocky

seriously though, find a good bullet thats recommended by a friend or one that works for you already and then shoot it into some media of your choice, wet paper/wax/jelly/etc it doesn't really matter because all you can actually do is compare its performance against other bullets in the same media. I shot two deer once at the same range and in the same place with the same make of bullet from the same rifle within seconds of each other one was drt the other run maybe 50 metres ! what i'm trying to say is that when your shooting game there is too many variables to make any certain conclusions about bullet performance.

I look at it this way.... if a bullet mushrooms, leaves a wound cavity
of 6 or 7 inches long, 2 or 3 inches wide, continues on a foot or so
through wet telephone books and is retreived than I suppose I'm in
good shape. I know it'll do the same in a deer.

Hello,

Cooled wet oatmeal. Then reheated to 100 to represent body temps.

James

Temperature doesn't have anything to do with it- bullets can't tell the difference between 60 and 100 degrees.

Newspaper, sand, oatmeal, etc, is not going to show anything about soft tissue disruption.

Temperature doesn't have anything to do with it- bullets can't tell the difference between 60 and 100 degrees.

Newspaper, sand, oatmeal, etc, is not going to show anything about soft tissue disruption.

So, a ductility test at 60 degrees is the same at 100.... I don't think so. Ductility of metal changes with temperature. I have done enough heat ups and cooldowns of reactors, reactor pressure vessels, and just regular pressurizers and their associated components to over my 30 year nuclear career know and understand that even .1 degree changes the equation with respect to ductility and brittle fracture.

However, my reference to temps of the oatmeal was joke that you obviously did not get.

The scholarly response would have been what is the impact temperature of said bullet at say 3000 FPS?

James

I guess I'll go out and buy a coulple of roasts!!;):D

I went and bought a bunch of toilet bowl wax,... the bullet test tube is a wax test.

SNIP

30 year nuclear career know and understand that even .1 degree changes the equation with respect to ductility and brittle fracture.

SNIP

OK, I'll bite!

What is the ideal temperature to shoot a Whitetail deer, exactly 1/3 up the body and 1/2 inch behind the front leg in an 87 degree forward facing angle :)

edge.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.