Bullet selection is driving me nuts....

That's the other problem, I'd like a bullet that works well at all distances. I'd say most of my shots on game are under 200 but I certainly don't want to be limited to short distance. If that was the case I'd just stick with my ol Balistic tips.
Or a good slingshot at that distance a 3/8 steel ball bearing...which has vastly superior B.C. to a glass marble!

I think for deer and animals that size it is very hard to beat Nosler ballistic tip.
They shoot very well make an exit wound and expand and if they dont work for what you are doing go with partitions fly well and they are legendary for performance.

Closest thing I can think of to a true all game all range bullet is the federal trophy bonded tip or newer terminal ascent.
This right here...from 0-800 yards from my 7STW the trophy bonded tip performs; it kills everything it meets. Worked just fine on an Axis deer in Medina County at 783 yards. Should meet your needs with the 28 Nosler and 300 WM.

I feel like a dog chasing its tail. Lol

I have always been a Nosler Ballistic Tip guy and they have done very well for me, but I have been wanting to step up my long range game for hunting so I have been researching bullets with a better BC and maybe that holds up better on game, because it's seems that is what everyone is talking about now right..... But it seems that just when I think I have found one that I will try then I find all these bad reviews, which I know, obviously, no matter what you research you will find issues. I also know I am way over thinking this, as I do with most things in life, and I should just pick something and go with it.

I thought I had decided on Barnes LRX, yea I know, there BC is not good, but lots of folks rave about Barnes bullets and this is there long range bullet. So I tried it them out this year and wasn't overly impressed.

So I thought ok, I love Nosler bullets, I'm looking for good BC, something that holds together well, so I'll try the accubond long range. Well crude, there are more bad reviews on them than good.

In all my research it seems like Berger bullets always come up. Yes there are some bad reviews, but when I dig into them, it seems that most are blaming it on a plugged tip, and those that insure the tips are cleaned out, some are even drilling them out, have great luck. What gets me here is it seems lots of people, with seemingly with lots of experience, recommend the target bullets for hunting. What? I even had a very well known and experienced nilgai guide highly recommend 215 Berger Hybrid Target bullets for nilgai over accubonds and Barnes. I trust this guy as he is very successful with his clients who often shoot his rifle with those bullets. And nilgai are probably, IMO, some of the toughest, thickest skinned, animals in North America.

I honestly don't know why I'm rambling on about this, I'm sure most of you are thinking just pick something that shoots great out of my rifle and go with it. But I kinda want to start with a great bullet and go from there.

Anyone else going thru this chasing of the tail trying to pick a hunting bullet?

Any thoughts or recommendations?

Not that it really matters but I'm currently messing with my 7 SAUM, 28 Nosler, and 300 WM.
Getcha' some of those bullets you have to clean up with a little drill bit before you can shoot 'em...don't remember what they were, but everyone swears by them (after they give them the home drilling treatment).

This right here...from 0-800 yards from my 7STW the trophy bonded tip performs; it kills everything it meets. Worked just fine on an Axis deer in Medina County at 783 yards. Should meet your needs with the 28 Nosler and 300 WM.
Plus they're pretty 😁. 300 win with 180 tbt, handload

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 38
I had same exact thing happen twice with a 140 ttsx. I think the sd of a 7mm bullet in that weight is a little too stout in all copper for thin skin game.
I had the same experience with a ttsx once. Double lung shot and the deer took off and ran 250 yds. When we opened it up there was damage to the lungs like a small broadhead does. I've since switched back to the older tsx barnes bullets and have great results.

You never did mention what caliber and type rifle you were shooting, not that it matters as long as you have a rifle that will shoot MOA or less. I have to admit that I am a 30 caliber buff but also recently looking into the .277 caliber arena. I have a 270 which is way Sub MOA with both 130 and 140 gr ammo either factory or hand loads. I have been able to duplicate the accuracy of factory ammo but not really do much better. What it boils down to is finding a load that your barrel likes. Start with a bullet that will do what you want it to. I am particular to Nosler and Sierra, not something you find popular around in this neck of the woods. I gave up the popular game many years ago and adopted the "What works for my rifle," principle. Select a bullet, any bullet that you think will do whatever it is you want to do. Concentrate on that bullet and your rifle. Try different powder charges from different types of powder, I have always found that the lower velocities per each different powder is a good place to start. Do a ladder starting at the bottom of the reloading data and work up from there. I do my initial ladders at 0.5 grains from minimum and work my way up. When I find a load that my rifle seems to like I back off and start at 0.2 grain powder charges. If warranted I will even go to 0.1 grain charges to determine the one that groups the best. If still not satisfied will try a different powder with the same bullet and repeat the process. Being impatient does not work here. To fine tune your rifle it may take several tries. I have had cases where, keeping in mind that I am dealing with 30 caliber in 308 an 30-06 when I have had to try different bullets, powder types and charges before wandering onto the combination that shoots sub MOA all the time. It takes time and practice as well as a lot of shooting to find the ammo that your rifle, (Not you) likes and shoots consistently well. Patience my friends. It takes patience to find that one load. Once you find it you can vary a bit to try to improve on it, change bullets keeping in mind that any time you change a major component you are essentially starting over from scratch.
.264 WM

You never did mention what caliber and type rifle you were shooting, not that it matters as long as you have a rifle that will shoot MOA or less. I have to admit that I am a 30 caliber buff but also recently looking into the .277 caliber arena. I have a 270 which is way Sub MOA with both 130 and 140 gr ammo either factory or hand loads. I have been able to duplicate the accuracy of factory ammo but not really do much better. What it boils down to is finding a load that your barrel likes. Start with a bullet that will do what you want it to. I am particular to Nosler and Sierra, not something you find popular around in this neck of the woods. I gave up the popular game many years ago and adopted the "What works for my rifle," principle. Select a bullet, any bullet that you think will do whatever it is you want to do. Concentrate on that bullet and your rifle. Try different powder charges from different types of powder, I have always found that the lower velocities per each different powder is a good place to start. Do a ladder starting at the bottom of the reloading data and work up from there. I do my initial ladders at 0.5 grains from minimum and work my way up. When I find a load that my rifle seems to like I back off and start at 0.2 grain powder charges. If warranted I will even go to 0.1 grain charges to determine the one that groups the best. If still not satisfied will try a different powder with the same bullet and repeat the process. Being impatient does not work here. To fine tune your rifle it may take several tries. I have had cases where, keeping in mind that I am dealing with 30 caliber in 308 an 30-06 when I have had to try different bullets, powder types and charges before wandering onto the combination that shoots sub MOA all the time. It takes time and practice as well as a lot of shooting to find the ammo that your rifle, (Not you) likes and shoots consistently well. Patience my friends. It takes patience to find that one load. Once you find it you can vary a bit to try to improve on it, change bullets keeping in mind that any time you change a major component you are essentially starting over from scratch.
I really appreciate your expertise and well rounded knowledge. I'm not a reloader but I'm considering learning. I've been searching for the right two bullet system for my .264 1:9. I've settled on Norma Oryx 156gr and Speer Impact 140. Being that the bore diameter in .265 Win Mag is limited I chose to maximize expansion because I've never caught a bullet at the velocities and reasonable range's I'm comfortable with.

Personally I would stick with Nosler Ballistic Tips if you are happy with results. One of the easiest to get shooting bullets and very reliable performance in my experience.

Lou

Personally I would stick with Nosler Ballistic Tips if you are happy with results. One of the easiest to get shooting bullets and very reliable performance in my experience.

Lou
If I don't get decent groups with these bonded bullets I'll consider them, it's just the NBT BC is not all that great but for a 1:9 it might be my best option I know. These bullet's I've ordered are the right length for stabilization and hopefully my reloader can dial them in but like you said, it's what my rifle likes not my hopeful search. Thanks for the reminders.