Bullet recommendation for 7mm-08 reduced loads

try the Hornady Custom Lite ammo, kills very dead without the load development trouble. my daughter has hunted with it for years. it works!!!

just my .02

Recoil and effectiveness on game at first appears to be a contradiction.

Recall that a 100 gr bullet at about 2900 fps gives about the same recoil as the .243 Win with 100 gr bullets and a 120 gr bullet at 2500 - 2600 fps has about the same recoil as both the 6.5 Grendel and the .243 Win.

Both cartridges are very effective game harvesters and are often used by very young, very small, and older shooters. Further, 7 mm bullets in those weight classes and design will perform much the same on impact.

So, one can have an effective game harvester with not much recoil.

One can load to lower velocities and have less recoil. The only penalties will be in trajectory and maximum range for reliable bullet expansion. Neither is critical under about 200 - 250 yards.

JASmith, +1 Well said, what you re giving up with the low velocity, light bullet weight is range! What you gain is recoil reduction. With young, in-experienced hunters typically they shouldn't shoot LR st game anyway...200-250 yards is a good poke and these reduced loads work well to that distance!

I just thought of this . watch out for " hangfires ." I have not had any problems with hangfires using H4895 powder . years back I was loading reduced loads using IMR SR4759 .( I think that's the correct number . ) these were very reduced loads in a 30.06 . these loads would cause a hangfire if the rifle barrel was pointed down then raised up to get on target . I tried using a filler but that didn't work out to well either . like I said , I've never had a problem with H4895 reduced loads . I thought I'd mention this so you can test for this before giving a new shooter these reduced loads .

I started out my kiddo on a 30-30ai with 125's and trail boss, just barely supersonic. Once she was really comfortable and had the fundamentals down I switched to 125's at slow 30-30 speeds. She now shoots full snort 150's at 2675fps. She was intimidated with noise and recoil starting out, this was the only way she'd continue comfortably.

I probably could have gotten something else, but already having the reloading equipment and good success with the 7mm-08, I thought that would be a good place to start. Even at full power, the recoil is quite manageable, though the Remington definitely weighs more than that little American does. At the same time, I think I can let her grow into the gun's full potential and she could end up with a rifle that will suit her for many years. A Boyds stock and new barrel down the road could turn it into a lot more than it is now, though that compact size and the lightweight 2-7x32 Nikon that I put on it is quite appealing in itself.

It sounds like most of the 120gr bullets should work at the shorter ranges even loaded down, but I did send Hornady a message asking about that new 120gr FTX. If that was designed for the 7-30 Waters, it should be just about right, given that those are the rough velocities I think I will end up around.

Great idea on the FTX! Try a couple in wet newspaper... let your daughter shoot them. It d be fun for her, and educational, to carefully dig them out.

Did all this stuff with my kiddos when they were little prior to hunting. Now they re grown up but still like to hunt with me when their work schedules allow; which isn't often enough in my old opinion!

I can provide this to you: I have 2 nephews Bought them each a .308 bolt when they came of hunting age
Loaded 150 Hornady Interlocks with IMR SR4759 There is reduced load data in the Speer and Lyman manuals
Both nephews became very accurate shooters and took deer every year up to 125 yards (they knew their rifles and their limits) Basically the power of a standard 30-30 Usually perfect pass thru performance. My brother had shoulder surgery late summer and used one the boys rifles to harvest a nice 10 point and he usually shoots a 300 Win
The older nephew turned 15 last year and said he was ready for full power loads so went to the Varget load same everything else Printed 1" higher than the SR loads and he shot 2 deer this year....

AA 5744 is a good powder for reduced loads. Shooters World Buffalo Powder is just as good and a lot cheaper. I use both in my 45-70. They are fairly fast burning powders so they perform well for reduced loads. Slow burning powders may be inconsistent at reduced preasures and extremely slow burning powders can be dangerous because they can detonate. I have an friend who destroyed a rifle and lost his hand when he fired a .300 RUM with a reduced load of IMR 7828. Also, IMO, most hunting bullets don't work well at reduced loads. Sierra used to make a hunting bullet designed for pistols. It might work if you can find them. Any other light bullet will work for practice, plinking, target, or varmint shooting. Good luck.

Great idea on the FTX! Try a couple in wet newspaper... let your daughter shoot them. It d be fun for her, and educational, to carefully dig them out.

Did all this stuff with my kiddos when they were little prior to hunting. Now they re grown up but still like to hunt with me when their work schedules allow; which isn't often enough in my old opinion!

This sounds like an excellent idea. Knowing how your bullet behaves when it hits is, I think, a critical part of understanding proper shot placement. As to not going hunting enough, I think all of us can relate to that, whether it is hunting with our kids, our parents, our friends, or even on our own.

Lots of good information here, so I hope this is helping someone else too. I'm sure I'm not the only one attempting to figure out how best to do this, whether it is our own kids or others who we are introducing to hunting.

My daughter has the same Ruger American youth model. I used the 120gr pro-hunter with h4895. 40gr @ 2617fps. Group was .5"

120 ballistic tip would get my vote. I have shot a lot of whitetails with a 14" barrel single shot pistol at ranges up to 275 yds. Most were drt. I have yet to lose an animal shot with a nosler bullet.

I also hunt with the 7 o8 i started with 120 sierra ,They didnt work for me on deer.Loaded 120 BT and have been shooting them many years they work.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.