Bullet for hug hunting

Mauser34

Hello everyone,

I am planing on doing some hog hunting in south florida. I am using a 30-06, what bullet should I try using?

I would say if you already have an accurate load with a bullet over 150gr that fits in your magazine, you'll be good to go already.

I would prefer something up towards 180gr however and probably with a soft tip.

I've heard good things about Hornady Interlock bullets, but I haven't used this specific bullet myself yet.

Hornady InterLock Bullets 30 Cal (308 Diameter) 180 Grain Spire Point

Hog hunting with an 06?
If that was my show, Id grab some Hornady 220 Round Noses... and some RL22.
Makes one heck of a hammer of God.gun)

Hello everyone,

I am planing on doing some hog hunting in south florida. I am using a 30-06, what bullet should I try using?

The 30/06 is more than capable of taking Hogs and any well made bullet 150 grains and up will work.

I recommend any bonded bullet or a mono metal bullet. If head shots are your thing the green tip (Armor piercing) ammo is also good.

If the hogs are 300 + pounds a 180 or 200 grain bullet should be used if you don't want to have to track them.

J E CUSTOM

I also think the 30-06 more then powerful enough to take any kind of hog. I was thinking about the Berger 185 grain match grade classic hunter.

Why waste your money? Unless you plan on piping a hog from past a quarter mile those expensive bullets are nothing more than pitching money out the window. Take a cheap bullet and the 3006 and have fun. Hogs don't give a crap about ballistic coefficient.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.