LR hunting bullet for 260AI ?

Coyboy

Any suggestions. This rifle will be primarilly used for deer out to 800y

I finished putting it togehter Fri. night, Saturday it's 7,8,9, bullets grouped .325"@ 100y. This was the forming load at 2700fps with 139gr lapua scenars.

I've read the scenars don't open up. What do you guys use for deer in the 6.5?

Anybody have a pet load in the 260AI?

Thanks for any help.

Well I am in the same boat sorta.. I have a 260 that I am working up loads for ...
I am gonna try the 140 amax which sure have shown some good intital results...

the 142 gr smk's have had some inconsistient results but "should" work.

In talking to a few select individuals who shoot the 6.5's A LOT they have all switched to the A-max for deer.

Thanks Ric, I thought the a-max might open up to quick, but with the high sectional densitys of the 6.5 maybe not?

I'll give them a whirl. If you get a chance to test them on a deer don't hesitate to give a report. Soonest I'll get a chance will be Oct.

Do you think at 2750fps this will cause close range failures
with the a-max?

NO. Just hit the lungs and you'll be fine. JMO but I like the A-max's better then any bullet I've used for hunting deer from 40-720yds.

You might want to give the 140 gr Hornady SST a try, they shot as well as the 140 A-max (only about .75-1.0 moa) in my rifle. They are tougher than the A-max for closer shots and tend to drop deer where they are standing.

Chris

I second the 140gr SST. They shoot extremely well in my rifles and expand down to some pretty low velocities. No issue handling a 2700fps impact.

Jerry

I'm only killing paper w/ mine right now, but IMR7828ssc has been really good for me w/ 139-142gr bullets. H4350 a close 2nd.

Thanks for the info guys. I have load development to do for this gun once I fire form all my brass. I'll try them both and go with what shoots the best. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I have had some great results out of my Mountain Rifle in a 260 with 120 grain NBT's. I have dropped deer from 30 yards to 500 with it. Mine likes 40 gr of RL 15.

I shoot a 260 in sniper rifle competition. My load is the Hornady 140 gr amax with H4350 @ 2818 fps. It is wonderfully accurate and hits plenty hard I picked the amax over the Sierra based on the potential for game use. ( the two shot exactly the same in terms of group size ) You will be quite happy with it for deer sized game out to 600-800 yards.

Thanks for all the info, A-maxs on order. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I shoot a 6.5 with a MV 2775 and used the 140 A-Max last year to shoot a medium sized buck @ 260 yards. Bullet did a good job and I intend to use it again for deer.
315827.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts