.257 115 vld hunting bullet for deer???

RT2506 I hear ya. Your not the only one that feels that way about the Sierra. Unfortunately for me I suffer from a condition called Tinkeritus of the nervous system. As a result I must tinker with the latest wiz-bang bullets. And yes it does drain my wallet more then necessary.
Realistically, when it comes to hunting deer, I don't get out and do enough scouting, I'm hunting over crowded public land that contains lots of does and on a really good year a tiny fork horn buck the usually disappears in thin air before I can let the air out of him.
I'm not complaining I'm just expressing that 90% of my deer hunting can be carried out with a Ping pong ball launcher and be just as effective. However I still love spending as much time in the off season preparing for that shot I probably won't get.

If you want to spend all that money for the newest wiz-bang on the block go ahead but if you want to save a lot of money and fooling around trying to get the new wiz-bang bullet to shoot good just get you some 117 gr Sierras. Work up to 52 grs H4831, CCI BR2, Rem case and load them 20 thousands off the lands. If that don't shoot work up to 49 grs IMR 4350, CCI 250 primer, Rem case. I have killed a whole lot of deer as a control hunter for 15 years with these loads in 25-06s and most drop in their tracks and those that don't are usually inside 50 yards from where they were shot.

We used the 117 Sierra Boat Tails (Gamekings I guess) for years, they never failed but some bullets like the now unavailable 125 Wildcats & even the 115 BT did better for me over 400 yds. I just got some Bergers to try, I shall see if my rifle likes them!

I use to have the 257 wty and used the 115 bergers for a couple of years. My gun shot them ok (.7inch to .6) but the old load which was a 115 blst tip bt bullet, it actually shot those the best 1/2 inch. Never could match the fps to the store bought weatherby rounds. Also I noticed weatherby puts a hard crimp on the 115 loads. I had the sub moa vanguard rifle. I sold it off later and bought a 6.5x284. No where near the speed but it shoots 1/2 groups all the time. Really like it a lot. manner a face I think I still might have some weather brass left in my closet. Here is what I would of liked if weatherby would of made a 6.5mm off the 257 case.

Here is what I would of liked if weatherby would of made
a 6.5mm off the 257 case.

I ran into a gentleman at my local range the other day that had built a 6.5/270 Weatherby.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.