Bullet Cost - Why is this so much a wild hair?

Here is a group using my "junk" Christensen arms 338 Lapua (which are no longer any good because they're out of the caliber of the month club), shooting those notoriously junk Hornady bullets. I am so embarrassed by my actions you can kick me out of here if needed. Did I mention these aren't hot loads... I'm so sorry. I chose accuracy over bragables... sorry guys.
Proves the OPs point, you can't even hit the bullseye with that cheap ammo!

:D

We build rifles at $$$$, optics at $$$$, Kestrels, rangefinders, ballistic apps, bipods, spotting scopes, hi tech clothing, atv's, utv's, outfitters, tips to guides, tents, ad nauseam. But holy cow a premium bullet at $1+ each is considered too expensive? Its the most important piece of the LRH puzzle and baffles me how we squeeze Lincoln's beard off the penny for a bullet but think nothing of swapping out barrels, stocks, optics at blink of eye. Help me understand this! All I seem to read lately is the cost of bullets being outrageous. I know we like to shoot a lot but to get LRH performance from a bullet it does take engineering and consistent manufacturing processes which does add costs to the final product. No I am not rich, am retired so fixed income but I know what it takes to manufacture a highly specialized product. We ignore the money we drop on equipment but get unglued on cost of premium bullets!

Just a random thought looking at snow coming down!
I can't wait to see what you publish...WHEN THE RAIN COMES DOWN!

We build rifles at $$$$, optics at $$$$, Kestrels, rangefinders, ballistic apps, bipods, spotting scopes, hi tech clothing, atv's, utv's, outfitters, tips to guides, tents, ad nauseam. But holy cow a premium bullet at $1+ each is considered too expensive? Its the most important piece of the LRH puzzle and baffles me how we squeeze Lincoln's beard off the penny for a bullet but think nothing of swapping out barrels, stocks, optics at blink of eye. Help me understand this! All I seem to read lately is the cost of bullets being outrageous. I know we like to shoot a lot but to get LRH performance from a bullet it does take engineering and consistent manufacturing processes which does add costs to the final product. No I am not rich, am retired so fixed income but I know what it takes to manufacture a highly specialized product. We ignore the money we drop on equipment but get unglued on cost of premium bullets!

First: Well said! Second....you folks down south just don't know how spoiled you've been! Powder here has been over 45.00/lb for a few years..and the sought-after ones regular price is over 51.00. Bullets....check Cabela's Canada..regular everyday price....I bet this will slow the complaining down for ya'll....Happy New Year coming....( hopefully)
Screenshot_20201226-103812.png

I'm in this camp. Yeah 140s for my daughter's 6.5 will fly way better but in reality she hasn't done much past 500 and 130s are cheaper so she can shoot more. Obviously get the right bullet for the job (animal/target/varmit) but don't judge me because I don't use your perfect bullet and expensive bullet. Heck, even allow me to complain about the price of components once in a while, it's a cover story for the wife ;)
YUP! Putting the "wrong" bullet in the right place is better than putting the "right" bullet in the wrong place. Practice,practice, practice.

First off most guys who shoot out multiple barrels a year in multiple rifles know they are expendable. The most important factor in this entire equation is the bullet. If you can pay to shoot out multiple barrels you can pay to shoot up premium bullets. Last time I emptied my trash can beside my press it had something like 22 empty berger boxes 36 empty Sierra boxes and the remaining 20 or so a split of partitions accubonds and elds.

if you can't pay to practice then you shouldn't play. Trainer rifles are fantastic. If it's a close of your hunting rig and has a nearly identical curve.

whoever said practice makes perfect is a liar. Perfect practice makes perfect.
"whoever said practice makes perfect is a liar. Perfect practice makes perfect."
You just put the nail in the coffin with that statement. I couldn't AGREE more.
I'm the type of Reloader that, before I empty that box of bullets or primers, or powder. Regardless, if I have 4 or 5 thousand rounds or X amount of pounds sitting on the shelf, or in storage. I'm ordering more before that ones gone.. That way, I never run out, and I have NO worries in times like were in rite now. "It's like GAS, in the Dodge, Got to have it." As far as the garbage can goes next to the press. The WIFE, makes sure I empty it on a regular bases. LOL:)

I don't think if we are talking about premium bullets for LRP shooting that many of us give that much thought to a dollar a round but when you start trying to push that up is when the complaint comes in. R&D cost a lot but the profit is made in volumn sold not recovered all at once on the front end. The rifle and equipment sit in the safe to be enjoyed over and over again. The cost is mediated out over years. Bullets are here today gone tomorrow. With the average bullet costing around a dollar by the time it is all put together you are looking at between 1.50 and 2.00 per round or more. The average range section for us is 25 to 60 rounds 4 to 6 times a month and the average match is 60-120 rounds. depending on if it is a one or two day event and forget talking about 3-gun. If we are shooting 3 gun or IDPA that count goes up to 300 to 400 rounds per session. In case your keeping tabs that is between 150.00 and 660.00 per month not including barrel wear. I am not rich either but for the average guy that can get pricey. Everytime you pull the trigger you just set a match to a 1.50, thats the way his wife sees it. When I talk to guys about getting into the sport of competitive shooting that is their general comment. "I can't afford it!" I have bought the ammo just to encourage guys to try it. Time you ad in entry fees and such most guys are out. I think if we are going to encourage the next generation of shooters to come along manufactures and retailers are going to have to be aware of that fact. Present pandemic aside, $1 to $2 dollars a bullet is about all the market will bare with a few exceptions. Just my thoughts on the subject.

First off most guys who shoot out multiple barrels a year in multiple rifles know they are expendable. The most important factor in this entire equation is the bullet. If you can pay to shoot out multiple barrels you can pay to shoot up premium bullets. Last time I emptied my trash can beside my press it had something like 22 empty berger boxes 36 empty Sierra boxes and the remaining 20 or so a split of partitions accubonds and elds.

if you can't pay to practice then you shouldn't play. Trainer rifles are fantastic. If it's a close of your hunting rig and has a nearly identical curve.

whoever said practice makes perfect is a liar. Perfect practice makes perfect.
Maybe you should empty your trash more often. I hate the smell of old, dead and rotting bullet boxes in the heat of summer.

It's really funny I usually have lots of trouble getting accurate loads out of premium bullets .My 338 likes dead bullets which are made no more and I have to go on a Easter egg hunt for them on classifieds .I have tried 40 different high dollar bullets but this rifle shoots patterns with them I mean 4 to 6 inches .I can shoot cheap bullets in it and it will shoot clover leaf and under an inch at 300 yards !
Have you tried Casting your own Bullets for this rifle, and powder coating. It sounds like a prime candidate for it.
The set up coast to cast bullets is very reasonable, and just about all off us has an old toaster oven sitting out in the shed. Lead is still easy to get. The week before Thanks Giving this year, we did a clean up on my home range and collected over 300lbs of shot 45acp and 9mm bullets out of my bullet trap, we do this every year to collect the led and just encase I get a visit from the EPA. (That's not going happen down here.)LOL. The sad thing is I bought the casting set up about 7 years ago and have never opened the boxes on them. Every time that I think I'm going to start casting, I take my reloading in a different direction. It's just nice to know that when I fire my last factory bullet. I still have options.

I believe that most shooters are not only crying about the cost of premium bullets used for handloading , but the sky rocketing costs of all the components needed in order to produce accurate ammunition. This is true whether your primary use is either for target shooting ,competition shooting or hunting ,component costs are at an all time high!
This is based on what we were paying for components a few short months ago as to what they are retailing for now.
Additionally as you know that these supplies are available to John Q Public in very limited quantities.

This IMHO is what both handloaders and competition shooters are griping about, and justifiably so!

Last edited:
Have you tried Casting your own Bullets for this rifle, and powder coating. It sounds like a prime candidate for it.
The set up coast to cast bullets is very reasonable, and just about all off us has an old toaster oven sitting out in the shed. Lead is still easy to get. The week before Thanks Giving this year, we did a clean up on my home range and collected over 300lbs of shot 45acp and 9mm bullets out of my bullet trap, we do this every year to collect the led and just encase I get a visit from the EPA. (That's not going happen down here.)LOL. The sad thing is I bought the casting set up about 7 years ago and have never opened the boxes on them. Every time that I think I'm going to start casting, I take my reloading in a different direction. It's just nice to know that when I fire my last factory bullet. I still have options.
You got that right. I have all types of casing die, and the other items need to complete the process too. Get yourself a good loading manual on shooting lead bullets. 300 pounds will go a long ways.

Have you noticed that with Trump in office, the EPA has been pretty quiet? As they should be!

And those aren't even the cool kid "premium" bullets referenced in this thread. Gotta be spun on a CNC lathe out of unicorn horn by Sasquatch himself of they're junk.
Could we send you bullets directly cheaper?
Thanks for the offer.
The problem is that red tape plagues all imports regarding firearm parts/brass/bullets.
I tried importing a rifle earlier this year, rifle was $1100AUD from Buds, import duties were close to $1500AUD just to land it here, not including the shipping or tax!
You would need an export permit and I would need an import permit, just not worth the trouble.

My turned solid brass bullets I use in my 338-416 Rigby Improved cost me the same as a box of 25 cal 110gr Accubonds, about $1.65 each.

Cheers.

I guess one has to clarify the discussion regarding $1/bullet, for if it is only for limited practice and then 2 or 3 rounds for hunting, that is one thing, but for guys putting many thousands of rounds down range per year, it may be another story.

Actually, this discussion reminds me of a similar conversation had many decades ago, and it revolved around guys using less expensive equipment vs the higher end guys. "On average", the lesser end guys spent more money on rounds down range and time spent training vs the higher end rifle guys, and the average reason was the less end rifle guys could practice more on their limited budgets. Guess who won more matches?

In the end, there are many factors that determine the outcome of a LR/ELR shot, and often, the cost of the equipment isn't the most important.
Be it a, Hobby, Novice, Amateur, or Professional Shooter.,,, The best of store bought ammo or reloaded,,, The best rifle, man has ever made. The best reloading equipment man can buy, and Perfect Practice Sections. The Biggest Variable and weakest Link, Will be YOU, the SHOOTER, AWAYS.,,,"HUMAN ERROR",,, Unless your name is,
JERRY MICULEK.

Have you noticed that with Trump in office, the EPA has been pretty quiet? As they should be!
Yep, But that's sure going to change here real quick. WE just dodged a big bullet from the ATF a few days ago..
The lead bullets that we love to shoot so much is about to go the way of the dinosaurs. If you don't think that green new deal isn't going to effect our ammo. I hope your wright, Just in case, I have a back up solution that should keep me supplied for the rest of my shooting days.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.