Why Is My .280 AI so slow?

Hodgdon has data for the 280AI and a max load of 57.3gr/IMR-7828ssc with Hornady 162gr bullet @ 2824fps and I think that's were the poster got his loading data from plus they have about 14 powders listed.

I am shooting a 1:9 twist barrel. Nossler .280ai brass.
The majority of my load data has come from the Nossler book. Also data that I got from Berger. I have taken the load up till I got high pressure signs, and have found the max load for my rifle. Then worked back down to a tight group. I looked back through my notes and found I tried six powders. And three bullets.

The majority of my load data has come from the Nossler book. Also data that I got from Berger. I have taken the load up till I got high pressure signs, and have found the max load for my rifle. Then worked back down to a tight group. I looked back through my notes and found I tried six powders. And three bullets.

You post this earlier "I am looking for an optic to put on top of my .280 AI. It is a custom rifle and is very accurate to the 900 mark. I have placed shots at this range with a borrowed Night Force."

Are these the same loads your posting about?

Were all three in the 160 grain range?? If so, I'd still try 140's, 150's, or 175's to see what happens. I've seem some pretty awesome accuracy out of regular 280's with 140 ct's, but the 140 AB may be better. If you are stuck on heavy's, I'm having good luck with the 171 matchburner by barnes.

You sure your chronograph is working?

A photo of your range setup would help but without more information I'd bet on the chronograph being set too close to the muzzle being the problem. If the muzzle blast triggers the first screen it will give repeatable but low readings like you're getting. I use 10 ft spacing to the first screen to be safe.

A photo of your range setup would help but without more information I'd bet on the chronograph being set too close to the muzzle being the problem. If the muzzle blast triggers the first screen it will give repeatable but low readings like you're getting. I use 10 ft spacing to the first screen to be safe

+1 on that

You post this earlier "I am looking for an optic to put on top of my .280 AI. It is a custom rifle and is very accurate to the 900 mark. I have placed shots at this range with a borrowed Night Force."

Are these the same loads your posting about?

Nope. Got one going for my dad and one for myself. Good lookin out though. Should I list my other projects as well?

Nope. Got one going for my dad and one for myself. Good lookin out though. Should I list my other projects as well?

I fully understand having couple rifles in the same caliber and if you read my first post #11, I did mention your post about shooting 900yds thinking there may be two 280AI. It does help knowing you have experience loading for the 280AI.

I fully understand having couple rifles in the same caliber and if you read my first post #11, I did mention your post about shooting 900yds thinking there may be two 280AI. It does help knowing you have experience loading for the 280AI.

I'd like to think I do. But you never know. I think I know what the problem is. I think I missed the upper velocity sweet spot in the powder range. I'm short on time with load development. Poor development always causes poor results. I'll admit that. Dang.

I'd like to think I do. But you never know. I think I know what the problem is. I think I missed the upper velocity sweet spot in the powder range. I'm short on time with load development. Poor development always causes poor results. I'll admit that. Dang.

I have owned numerous 280 AI's and have done load development for several others and in my experience the 280 AI likes to be pushed to the upper limits. I have never found one to shoot better at lower preassure than they do at the upper end. The 280 AI simply likes preassure, within safe limits of corse but, I have pushed them beyond being able to re use brass without adverse effects on accuracy. My opinion is there is something else going on with your rifle.

Have you tried RL 22? I know it is temp sensitive but is is a no brainier in the 280 AI for velocity and accuracy. If you have 140gr bullets load some with starting at 60g move up to 63 in one grain increments find the max, should be 61-62g, if you are not over 3200 fps either your chrono is lying or your rifle is the problem. You should be able to get 3200+ with a max load of RL 22 and a 140 g bullet, if not something is up.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.