Bullet Cost - Why is this so much a wild hair?

Maybe I wasn't clear enough. Don't care what bullet anyone shoots but my comment is about those who get shorts in a wad for a bullet that is in the $1 range. Don't shoot it! Totally agree shoot what you want but complaining about a bullet cost due to high cost of its manufacturing when you drop $5K on setup is my wild hair. A bullet CNC'ed is going to be costly no matter who makes it.
This I agree with. Some of the lathed rounds I don't even understand how they sell them at the price they do (as in how do they make a profit) Heck, even standard process rounds are amazing feats of manufacturing to me.

Last edited:
I think its foolish to shoot "premium" bullets if my rifle shoots another great non "premium" bullet better or as good. Getting wrapped up in only dollars equals acceptable is a toxic recipe and can really take the fun out of this or any sport....

In the life span of a barrel say 2000 rounds. If you shoot $1 bullets that's 2k in bullets. A .50 bullet you pay half that. The savings is enough to buy another barrel, chamber and thread. Just cuz you spend some money on a quality custom rifle doesn't mean you can throw money away for no reason.

This is why I always try hornady ElDx and M I can spend a whole lot less over the life of multiple rifles than shooting a high end bullet with same results. I really like federal TLR bullets but the EDLX kill just as dead for half the money

I'm retired with a fixed income as well and view pretty much all items associated with hunting to either have value or not, regardless of cost. There are are inexpensive (not cheap) bullets that will EASILY outperform a much higher cost bullet in many shooting platforms, e.g. Fusion, SST. etc. It comes down to the pricing of the source. Similarly, I have inexpensive hunting clothing that will perform as well as Sitka or Underarmour. You even gotta pay for the extra "u" for that english style spelling! 🤓

It's really funny I usually have lots of trouble getting accurate loads out of premium bullets .My 338 likes dead bullets which are made no more and I have to go on a Easter egg hunt for them on classifieds .I have tried 40 different high dollar bullets but this rifle shoots patterns with them I mean 4 to 6 inches .I can shoot cheap bullets in it and it will shoot clover leaf and under an inch at 300 yards !

I guess one has to clarify the discussion regarding $1/bullet, for if it is only for limited practice and then 2 or 3 rounds for hunting, that is one thing, but for guys putting many thousands of rounds down range per year, it may be another story.

Actually, this discussion reminds me of a similar conversation had many decades ago, and it revolved around guys using less expensive equipment vs the higher end guys. "On average", the lesser end guys spent more money on rounds down range and time spent training vs the higher end rifle guys, and the average reason was the less end rifle guys could practice more on their limited budgets. Guess who won more matches?

In the end, there are many factors that determine the outcome of a LR/ELR shot, and often, the cost of the equipment isn't the most important.

It's the same as when people complain that the 25s, 270s, 8mm, 35 cal dont have enough bullets so they aren't popular. With about a dozen+ good bullets available for all of those no reason to shy away from a 8mm cartridge or any other. 308 diameter has TONS of bullets and I've only shot 3 out of my 30-06. And thats only because it was fun to develop a new load. Does anybody really struggle to develop a load by trying 10 different bullets? As far as cost, yeah kinda dumb to complain about that too.

First off most guys who shoot out multiple barrels a year in multiple rifles know they are expendable. The most important factor in this entire equation is the bullet. If you can pay to shoot out multiple barrels you can pay to shoot up premium bullets. Last time I emptied my trash can beside my press it had something like 22 empty berger boxes 36 empty Sierra boxes and the remaining 20 or so a split of partitions accubonds and elds.

if you can't pay to practice then you shouldn't play. Trainer rifles are fantastic. If it's a close of your hunting rig and has a nearly identical curve.

whoever said practice makes perfect is a liar. Perfect practice makes perfect.
I wouldn't call Berger's or Sierra high dollar. I think my point is more along the lines of what does it matter. I'm glad guys are getting out and shooting. If it lead cast bullets from old tire weight or custom handmade bullets. We all wish shooting the better stuff was cheaper. And cost does matter to most everyone to some extent. Some of us have to have tracking point weapon system some of us are fine with a Savage axis. We as shooters and leaders of our sport need to be careful not to look down on those who have less or try to pinch pennies. I have personally seen $400 gun scope combos out shoot $4k plus rigs and do it with factory ammo.

I have to laugh at this discussion.
Premium bullets here in Australia start at $2.00 each and go up from there.
Recently paid $2.10 each for Nosler 142gr ABLR 6.5 pills, $2.30 each for Nosler 210gr ABLR .308" pills. I think my 285gr ABLR .338" cost $2.50 each.
Paid $3.30 each for Nosler .375" 260gr Accubonds.
None of these prices include shipping.
As I look at all the websites here trying to find stock of what I need, all I see is prices climbing higher and higher.
Desperately need 44 cal 240gr Speer SP Deep Curls, none to be found anywhere, then I read that Deep Curls are no longer in production. I just can't win.
Heading out for 3 weeks on Jan 3, guess the 30 rounds I have will have to do for my first years hog eradication program. My 25-06 will have to be used I guess.

Cheers.

Maybe I wasn't clear enough. Don't care what bullet anyone shoots but my comment is about those who get shorts in a wad for a bullet that is in the $1 range. Don't shoot it! Totally agree shoot what you want but complaining about a bullet cost due to high cost of its manufacturing when you drop $5K on setup is my wild hair. A bullet CNC'ed is going to be costly no matter who makes it.
For me, I differentiate between target shooting and hunting. For those who shoot thousands of rounds per year, it MAY be a concern, but in the end you have to do what it takes to stay on top. In those realms, cost has many considerations, quantity, production methods, and development to name a few. I agree with you. I think its the hypocrisy we find distasteful. I heard Aaron Snyder comment on how guys would show up to pick up their pack in an $80,000 truck, $30,000 trailer, going on a $8,000 hunt complaining about the cost of their $800 pack.

Recently paid $2.10 each for Nosler 142gr ABLR 6.5 pills, $2.30 each for Nosler 210gr ABLR .308" pills. I think my 285gr ABLR .338" cost $2.50 each.
As I look at all the websites here trying to find stock of what I need, all I see is prices climbing higher and higher.
Desperately need 44 cal 240gr Speer SP Deep Curls, none to be found anywhere, then I read that Deep Curls are no longer in production. I just can't win.
Heading out for 3 weeks on Jan 3, guess the 30 rounds I have will have to do for my first years hog eradication program. My 25-06 will have to be used I guess.

Cheers.
This post made me laugh and realize that this is the truth for us Americans. We pay so little for just about everything. As an example, we pay less for French wine than they do in France! Thanks for bringing me back to reality.

I think of it like this....Berger makes great bullets at a very reasonable price....sometimes Hornady is at this level too. These are really great bullets.

There are specialty bullets beyond those....you are really buying the specialty more than being better than Berger/Hornady. Sometimes like Cutting Edge, it might be worth a little extra to get next level BC and hunting performance....not for me, but for somebody

Cheers.
And those aren't even the cool kid "premium" bullets referenced in this thread. Gotta be spun on a CNC lathe out of unicorn horn by Sasquatch himself of they're junk.
Could we send you bullets directly cheaper?

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts