Bullet Cost - Why is this so much a wild hair?

We build rifles at $$$$, optics at $$$$, Kestrels, rangefinders, ballistic apps, bipods, spotting scopes, hi tech clothing, atv's, utv's, outfitters, tips to guides, tents, ad nauseam. But holy cow a premium bullet at $1+ each is considered too expensive? Its the most important piece of the LRH puzzle and baffles me how we squeeze Lincoln's beard off the penny for a bullet but think nothing of swapping out barrels, stocks, optics at blink of eye. Help me understand this! All I seem to read lately is the cost of bullets being outrageous. I know we like to shoot a lot but to get LRH performance from a bullet it does take engineering and consistent manufacturing processes which does add costs to the final product. No I am not rich, am retired so fixed income but I know what it takes to manufacture a highly specialized product. We ignore the money we drop on equipment but get unglued on cost of premium bullets!

Just a random thought looking at snow coming down!
Right now, cost wise, they're all premium bullets. Lol. But I do shoot Bergers in most all of my rifles.

The same old argument about film and camera back in the day - OMG - the day you rea;ize you just spent more on film than on the entiree big$ camera system! AS far as bullets - I find what I want to shoot, then that is what Ipay for it. On the the other hand, if due to current circumstances someone jacks the pric eup due to shrtages - then I shop elsewhere. All of us make our choices.

I enjoying shooting and killing stuff with cheap standard bullets. But then I still like to hunt rather than shoot a mile away. 400 yards is a long shot for me, send me all your cheap bullets. You sure don't need to use so called premium bullets to kill game. Been doing it along time.

This morning on the blog. Somebody was willing to pay $150.00 to $200 per pd of powder. When I was a kid, A pound of powder was under $2.00, now it's $35.00 or so per pd. My wages were $1.25 per hour then, and now would be somewhere around $70.00 per hr. Back when it took me about 2 hours to get a pd of powder, and now less than a hour. Bullets were under $3.00 per hundred, now up to $1 each. It's all on what you are doing with your loads, and what you want out of them. I feel that if you are shooting under or about 500yds+, you don't need the high end bullets. Longer yards then I feel top grade bullets and other items are needed. A lot more time involved today than 50+ yrs ago to put a round to gather, or should I say more steps in hand loading now that years ago. You do end up with a far more accurate round than days of old. That is why I hand load to get what I want, not what they sell over the counter. Even back in the days of old what I loaded would go 500 yds with accuracies.

I enjoying shooting and killing stuff with cheap standard bullets. But then I still like to hunt rather than shoot a mile away. 400 yards is a long shot for me, send me all your cheap bullets. You sure don't need to use so called premium bullets to kill game. Been doing it along time.
That's the beauty of having "personal" choices for end-users' intended purpose. I would rather have plenty of bullets to choose from than NOT having them at all. No one is forcing anyone to use them, but they are available for those that want to use them; it really is that simple.

Sometimes people forget that this website is founded for LRH/S minded shooters and hunters.

Cheers!

Here is a group using my "junk" Christensen arms 338 Lapua (which are no longer any good because they're out of the caliber of the month club), shooting those notoriously junk Hornady bullets. I am so embarrassed by my actions you can kick me out of here if needed. Did I mention these aren't hot loads... I'm so sorry. I chose accuracy over bragables... sorry guys.

Attachments

• D176DAF6-61CA-4F3A-A19A-F3215B449F81.jpeg
    D176DAF6-61CA-4F3A-A19A-F3215B449F81.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 112
Shooting, like any other enjoyable pursuit a guy might get into, is expensive. Somebody mentioned race cars and burning up expensive tires - good analogy. How about flying light aircraft, and complaining about the price of avgas. Guess what, guys ? When the big boys get out their toys, they cost a lot of money, and they cost even more to feed. That's why we all work our tails off at good jobs. Our pastimes are another incentive to get trained to do something worthwhile, that pays well - so we can play with nice stuff on our days off. Golfing, skiing, boating - all costly endeavors. All pretty equipment-intensive, and all are a lot of FUN. That's just the way it is.

We build rifles at $$$$, optics at $$$$, Kestrels, rangefinders, ballistic apps, bipods, spotting scopes, hi tech clothing, atv's, utv's, outfitters, tips to guides, tents, ad nauseam. But holy cow a premium bullet at $1+ each is considered too expensive? Its the most important piece of the LRH puzzle and baffles me how we squeeze Lincoln's beard off the penny for a bullet but think nothing of swapping out barrels, stocks, optics at blink of eye. Help me understand this! All I seem to read lately is the cost of bullets being outrageous. I know we like to shoot a lot but to get LRH performance from a bullet it does take engineering and consistent manufacturing processes which does add costs to the final product. No I am not rich, am retired so fixed income but I know what it takes to manufacture a highly specialized product. We ignore the money we drop on equipment but get unglued on cost of premium bullets!

Just a random thought looking at snow coming down!
it's a puzzlement

Here is a group using my "junk" Christensen arms 338 Lapua (which are no longer any good because they're out of the caliber of the month club), shooting those notoriously junk Hornady bullets. I am so embarrassed by my actions you can kick me out of here if needed. Did I mention these aren't hot loads... I'm so sorry. I chose accuracy over bragables... sorry guys.
I work on two items, Accuracy, and velocity. They both have to come together to work of me. I have lot of boxes of bullets, That I either use or have shelved, because they didn't work. I use components that work for me. Weather they are high end or low end. I generally don't shoot over 500yds. I am not set up for longer shots presently. I am working on a longer range rifle presently, but I believe still under 700 yards. My reloading equipment is getting updated to highest level presently. So what you have there is great in my estimation, and I am guessing it's what you want.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.