Do JLK Bullets Really have a BC that is So Much Higher than Berger ?

300magman

Just like the title says, are JLK bullets really so superior to Bergers when it comes to BC. If so, is there some downside, because I hear about Bergers being used everywhere and hardly hear a word about JLKs

Claimed JLK BC
7mm 168gr = 0.690
7mm 180gr = 0.735

Claimed Berger BC
7mm 168gr = 0.617
7mm 180gr = 0.659

BTW, I'm thinking about using them in F-Class, not hunting.

If you do a search you might find some of the awnsers to your questions. We have discused it before with the help of JLKs owner and Eric from Berger. The short awnser is yes just a bit higher than the Bergers and for all intense and purpose the same bullet.

Jon

I believe it's how BC is currently reported by Berger.
They've normalized their G1BCs to provide an average from muzzle to target.
For most it accounts for the variance of G1BCs as velocities change in flight.

JLK BCs are still based on some muzzle velocity, like all other bullet makers.

This can benefit or hurt you, depending on your ballistic software.
Most software does not adjust BC incrementally with each incremental velocity downrange. This is in a sense a circular loop, in that BC affects downrange velocity, which affects BC!
But this is possible, and so probable somewhere out there.

Berger normalized expected velocities with their bullets, and assigned BC based on that velocity, to reduce software prediction error across a gamut of ranges.
It's a good move.
Bergers and JLKs are actually pretty close, but I think Berger's BC numbers are more useful.

Thank you for that explaination, that is about as well as I have ever heard it put.

I had seen a few others posts on this topic but I didn't really get a sence of resolution from them. Some seemed to think JLK's number were spot on, while others pointed out that they couldn't be much, if any, different from Berger's because they were too close to identical.
Your explaination really rationalizes both.

According to Bryan Litz's book my 7mm 177 & 189 gr VLD's are king of the BC's so I've been told. Several long range shooters have said that my 177gr has a 750 BC @
2700 fps MV. I cannot say one way or the other, as I have no way of testing BC's.
In my opinion I want them all to go into the same group. What has a shooter gained if the bullet has a high BC but does not group well.

Last edited:
According to Bryan Litz's book my 7mm 177 & 189 gr VLD's are king of the BC's so I've been told. Several long range shooters have said that my 177gr has a 750 BC @
2700 fps MV. I cannot say one way or the other, as I have no way of testing BC's.
In my opinion I want them all to go into the same group. What has a shooter gained if the bullet has a high BC but does not group well.

I've shot the cauterucio 176gr with great results and yes your so right a higher BC means nothing if the bullet dose not group the best and consistantly all the time.lightbulb

Just like the title says, are JLK bullets really so superior to Bergers when it comes to BC. If so, is there some downside, because I hear about Bergers being used everywhere and hardly hear a word about JLKs

Claimed JLK BC
7mm 168gr = 0.690
7mm 180gr = 0.735

Claimed Berger BC
7mm 168gr = 0.617
7mm 180gr = 0.659

BTW, I'm thinking about using them in F-Class, not hunting.

Measured BC's for some bullets you mentioned, they are as follows. Note these are G1 BC's, all averaged from 3000 to 1500 fps which is they way Berger computes their bc's I believe. This info came from a man who performed the test and knows his stuff.
Berger 180 VLD: .659-------------Length into lands is 2.847
Berger 180 Hybrid: .674-------------Length into lands is
JLK 180 VLD: .645-------------Length into lands is 2.875
Cauterucio 177 VLD: .683-------------Length into lands is 2.840
Cauterucio 189 VLD: .703

What has a shooter gained if the bullet has a high BC but does not group well.
Well there may or may not be a gain in it.
BC ALWAYS matters though, even when you THINK it's not important.
It's the very reason LR shooters use high weight for cal bullets(whether they know it or not).

If GROUPING was all that mattered LR shooters would be shooting flat base, lower BC bullets in slower twists.
When ACCURACY matters(as it does here, and with every single shot), LR shooters need to mitigate mis-hold errors with wind.
That's not to suggest that BC should be the sole consideration, but that it should not be blown off either.

All hype and BS galore! Just like the auto dealers who'll say anything in an attempt to get the gullible public to buy their product!:rolleyes:

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts