bullet choice and hunting questions

6mm06guy

Ok guys, im going on my first big game hunt ever, in alaska of all places and i have no idea what im doing. The only big game gun i have is an 8mm mag, and although im confident in the cartrige im not sure what bullet to use. Ill be hunting moose, and caribou, possibly black bear. I currently have 2 loads worked up in the rifle with 180 nbt and 200 gr partitions. Would the 220 game king be a better choice? Also I'm lost on what cloths to buy, I have never hunted outside Missouri or Kansas. I will be hunting around north pole alaska, 4 wheeling in and doing some spot and stalk around the first week of September. Thanks for the help guys.

John

To clarify one thing I will not be using the ballistic tips while I'm in alaska. But the do punch very large holes in white tails :D

As an overall bullet it is hard to beat the 200 gr Partition for any 8mm. The main thing that you need to do is shoot, shoot, shoot that rifle so you can put the bullet where it is supposed to go. If you think you need a tougher bullet the Barnes 180 or 200 TSX would probably be a good place to look. Nosler also makes a 200 gr Accubond which is the kind of the best of both worlds. It flies like the ballistic tip and starts to open up like the ballistic tip but holds together like the partition and keeps on trucking. I shoot the 130 accubond in my 264 win mag at 3350 fps and even as close as 50 yards it will shoot through both shoulders of a big buck deer and keep on trucking. I have killed 20+ deer with this bullet and have only recovered one from a buck shot length wise chest on at 111 yards and bullet was found against the smashed ball socket of right ham and the bullet was a text book mushroom and weight was 87 grs. Good luck and have fun.

It's a 1978 Remington 700, currently has a 3-9x40 for deer, but I'm upgrading to a vortex scope soon, Leopold mounts and rings. It's blue not stainless.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.