Bullet Advise

dagrizman

Need some help please. I built a custom .300 Win Mag and made the mistake in my barrel twist. Had Shilen do a 1/12" rather than a 1/10". My bad but it was my first build. After the fact, I wanted to shot the 215 gr class bullets. They call for the 1/10" twist. My question to the pro's is where do I need to go from here? 168gr pills? Any input, good or bad will be appreciated. Thanks, Griz

Attachments

• IMG_20151010_123928134.jpg
    IMG_20151010_123928134.jpg
    264.6 KB · Views: 62
You should be able to stabilize up to a Berger 190. I shoot the 185 VLD's in my 1:12 twist .30-06 AI with great results.

Correct me if i'm wrong, but you might/should be able to go with the 185's with that twist in that rifle, perhaps some issues when you hit trans/subsonic? gun)

Thanks guys. I have some 185 VLD Bergers on the bench. I will see what she does with them. The 215 pills just didn't stabilize at the 100 yrd mark. I will keep you posted after the weather cools down just a bit. Griz

It is possible to shoot marginally stabilized bullets with great accuracy. With that said, marginal stability can have detrimental effects on terminal performance and will degrade the bc of the bullet.

I would say that your initial gut feeling of the 168g is probably correct. In our mono pure copper bullets it would be a 152g projectile for full stabilization. If you are at high elevations you can get some help with stability. Also when you go and look at the stability calculator pay attention to the temp settings. Temp plays a big part in stability. So I would recommend inputting the lowest temp that you think you may encounter.

Good luck,

Steve

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.