Stock advise

Cuatro

Looking at a new build. If i was to build up a bolt gun, right hand, long range hunter, what would you use and why?

Depends a lot on the target weight of the rifle. McMillan A5 is very good for several reasons. Good options for LOP and cheek weld. You can get sniper fill for extra weigh The dropped grip works very well for long range shooting. The molded in swirl custom color options are beautiful. They also have good resale value. I am using one right now for a Savage build will be bedding it tomorrow.

What action, barrel contour, finished weight and how much are you looking to spend? Great stocks for the money include Bell & Carslon, Stocky's Long Range, Grayboe, and HS Precision. If you have a higher budget than look into something like a Manners or McMillan.

The new Mcmillan Game Warden looks pretty sweet. I really like my game scout not sure what your version of long range is.

Good luck and shoot straight

Bob

What action, barrel contour, finished weight and how much are you looking to spend? Great stocks for the money include Bell & Carslon, Stocky's Long Range, Grayboe, and HS Precision. If you have a higher budget than look into something like a Manners or McMillan.

So Jud is right on target. A rifle stock is like a woman. Some feel just right in your hands and arms, others just don't make it. Stocks are a personal thing. You've gotta make your own decision.
I can recommend a stock that you might like; or you may not. I'd rather avoid the responsibility for convincing you to spend $500 to $800 on a stock that I like. :)

Try to handle a sample of the stock before purchase. Twist the forearm holding the pistol grip. Some stock are very flexible; McMillian, Manners and others are no! You want one that does not flex. Any induced stresses will be released on the shot and cause problems.

Good luck

Jerry

If your barrels muzzle OD is greater than .73" I like the Mcmillan A3. It has a high comb, vertical grip, and a nicely sized forearm that's not too big or small. If you are close to average in physical size they feel great. The more compact size, relatively light weight, along with the aforementioned features seems to work quite well for both prone and upright shooting positions. The drop-ins require little, if any bedding work to give a solid bed for the action. Finally while more of a personal taste, I think they make for a great looking LR rifle. The McMillan costs more but will hold its value. IMO

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.