Bullet advise in a 284 winchester

CPerkins

I'm looking for a good bullet for my custom 284 winchester. It is built on a short action and I really dont want a long bullet that will signifigantly decrease case capasity or make it a single shot. It really wont be used for really longrange. Maybe 500 to 600 yards max on whitetails. I had a bad experience with the Nosler BT's in a 140 gr. several years ago with it and have not used it since. I bought some 140 gr accubonds, but I would like to hear some other suggestions if you have them. Thanks

Cody, I use a custom 284 myself. I've tried a variety of bullets & am just starting load development on a new Krieger barrel. I can offer several observations and experiences from other barrels. Nos BT just too light with explosive results, Nos AB is working good so far, Barnes TSX has had excellent & deadly results, Barnes MRX is too new to tell & I've not shot anything with it yet. I prefer the 140 gr weight. 150 gr is max for the case & most rifles. The 140 is going 2950-3000 FPS in my gun. Best powder is VV550, second best H414. Problem with H414 is temperature sensitive and I hunt where temps can vary high & low. Primers seem to effect max loads. I've seen velocity gain with lower pressures by switching primers. Have settled on Fed 210 & 210M if you can find them. On Barnes, space off the lands is critical for pressure & accuracy. Nos AB like to sit close. I'm thinking of trying the Rem CL Ultra now that they are available to handloaders. Not the best BC, but who knows? So far the Barnes TSX is my best choice with the Nos AB running second. Would definitely stick to Barnes on elk, but deer probably wouldn't know the difference & Nos AB would be good at longer ranges. New Barnes MRX might turn out as the best of both worlds?? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

What receiver is on your rifle. That will give us an idea what magazine length you have. Your problem with any tipped bullet will be in fitting the rounds in the mag and still being able to get to the lands for good accuracy which is generally the best place to seat your bullets, not always however.

As such, I would recommend a bullet with either a HP or small flat point. YOu will not get the high BCs but if you want to get the bullets in the magazine you may not have any other choice.

I would get ahold of Richard Graves and Wildcat Bullets. He makes some Flat base HP bullets that would get you as much BC as possible but still give you a good shot at them working well in the magazine.

Bullet weights should probably be kept under 150 grains if you do not what to cut into case capacity to much.

If you are using a Rem 700, you may consider having your rifle converted to use one of the longer Wyatt magazine boxes. This would help with some extra length in your ammo.

Just my opinion,

Kirby Allen(50)

Cody, I have an elongated mag box on my 700 SA and can seat out to 2.950 and had barrel throated for a 140 Nosler AB to be .010 off. Barnes need to be set back much more and should fit in your rifle without extending mag box. Or you can go with custom like Kirby suggested.

Alright here's some more info that might help. It is a remington 700 sa. I thought about the wyatts extended mag but have yet to find out if anyone locally can install one. I checked my OAL with a Stoney Point OAL gauge, and found that Nosler Accubonds in a 140 gr have an OAL of 3.090
If the bullet is not seated to 3.040 loaded rounds are tricky to eject. I haven't tried the Barnes trx yet but will pick up some soon. Since this is not for extreme longrange, would what are some opinions of the 120 gr barnes. The BC is lower, but most of my shots are well inside 200 yards. A few places that I hunt offer 300 to 600 yards shots (still not really longrange) but thats only if I set up just to get a shot that far. there are actually better stands covering these areas that will offer shots inside of 300 yards. More than likely I will use the 140 gr. but oppinions would be appreciated.
Thanks
Cody Perkins

Cody, Any good gunsmith should be able to install the box. It will require elongating your space in the receiver and will probably eliminate the front screw in the trigger guard. Even if you don't modify, you will still get plenty of velocity out of 120 or 140 Barnes TSX if you keep your OAL down to around 2.800. I saw tests done on the WSM when it first came out that showed the deeper seating of bullets in the case didn't effect velocity that much. Let's face it, a 284 case is very similar to the WSM. Experiment and you might find that for the distances you are shooting, you will have plenty of velocity. Face it, a 7/08 is considered a great caliber, and your 284 even seated deep will out perform it by 100-150 fps!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.