.284 winchester

djbcqc

I am in the process of getting a rifle in .284 winchester and had a couple questions about load developement. I am planning on working up a heavy load with a high BC bullet (berger 180 gr VLD?) and a light load for use inside of 300 yards with something light and fast, probably 120gr V-max.

1. Apparently there has been great success with 180 grain Berger VLDs pushed by RL17. Guys are getting close to 3000 FPS with this launching a bullet with a .684 BC. However, those guys are using 31 inch barrels, and I am shooting a 24". So, in light of that issue would it be smarter for me to switch to something like the 162gr A-max, which still .6+ BC but which I could get a little more velocity out of?

2. Is there some bullet out there that has the BC and match grade consistency of the above mentioned bullets, but has better terminal ballistics?

002.jpg

This is the first group of 120 V-Max fired from my 284 long action custom Remmy 700. I'm blaming the hard left flier on me. I was pretty happy with it. I didn't think they would perform nearly that good being the rifle loves 150gr Ballistic tips. I had it throated to seat the 140 through 160gr bullets to the bottom of the neck while engaging the lands. Utilizing all the available powder capacity. My thoughts were to try the 120s in hopes of finding a smoker of a Pronghorn load. Just may have at that. The rifle was built with Muleys in mind and the 150gr B-Tips show as much promise. I was orriginaly thinking 280 A.I.,but my smithy urged me to give the 284 long action a try. I'm glad I did.

Here a clip on a 284 read the load density using R-17

.284 Win Tactical Hunter

I had my 284 build as antelope/deer/elk rifle and I planned on using 160gr bullet. I read the article above decided to try the 160 Accubond with R-17 and I worked up to
53gr/R-17 @ 3048fps and that's good load in my rifle. I've got some 168gr Berger VLD to try see how that goes.

well good luck

Thanks for the input guys, the article looks great, and nice group on those two shots. It looked like one bullet hole for a minute! I found some more good info on the Bergers on this site, and I think the 168 VLD will probably be my starting point along with V-max. How long is your barrel otter 25?

My .284 shoots 180 vlds at 2940 fps from a 25 in. barrel with 51.2 gr Rl 17 and cci 200 primers. SD was in the teens and ES was in the 30s I think. This load is approaching MAX so I would reduce and work up. Accuracy is .3s any given day and is violent on game at any distance. I get same basic results with 168 vlds but have not chronoed them yet. I have not used any other bullets because I see no need to for my purpose(wild hogs @ any distance). You have made an excellent caliber choice, good luck and enjoy!

I realize this is an older thread but thought my experience with the 284 Win would be helpful to some. in general I believe the 284 Win is one of the most versatile and accurate rounds available with the punch to take any animal in n America or plains game. it is a tremendous round and when throated to handle the Berger 180 vld or hybrid offers better downgrade ballistics than many magnums 30 cals. I routinely shoot 1000 yard 18"steel with hit after hit and with enough energy to take down most large game.

first my rifle is built on a defiance action. the barrel is a 9 twist 5R bartlein 28" long on a McMillan ultra light stock. the trigger is a 1.5 oz Jewell. no muzzle break. optics is the Nightforce C505. rings are Near.

load
Lapua brass necked up and neck trimmed prepped etc
berger 180 vld
h4831ssc. 55.5 gr
cci br2 primers
Bergers are seated at but not into the lands.
2780 fps. seems slower but check your cals on downgrade velocity and energy past 500 yards. this is where this round shines.

this load in my gun will give me hole in hole performance at 100 Yrds and 6" @ 1000 yards. this is a hunting rifle not a benchrest gun. I have around 20 rifles but really this is the only one I need. it is relatively light weight well balanced and the only disadvantage is if hunting internationally you cannot find factory ammunition for the 284 Win if you arrived without your bullets. cannot recommend this caliber more and other is a good reason why it is so popular with the benchrest guys. it's incredibly accurate.

Have a new fantastic load for the 284 Win:

Lapua Brass
Berger 180 Hybrid .015 off lands
F210M Primer
50 gr IMR 4451

Shoots 1/8 - 1/16th MOA. Need to chrony still

Barrel is a Bartlein 9 twist 5R 28"

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.