building a LRR in rem 700 cal. 300 win mag

Can anyone tell me what is the most accurate size barrel and the best load and why, historically speaking for this gun I am planning to have built which is a Remington 700 in a 300 Winchester magnum? I would pay someone by the hour just to talk with me and increase my knowledge as much of this is new to me.

There isn't really a best load, it all depends on what your gun likes. Typically, if you are shooting long range, a heavier, high BC bullet (210 berger, 215 berger, 200 AB, 208 amax) will perform better at long range. It retains more energy and is pushed less by the wind. A heavy barrel will typically perform best when shooting long range. It heats up less and might be a little stiffer. That being said, any after market barrel from a reputable manufacturer will be a good barrel. We could debate who makes the best barrel forever. This all depends on what you want to do. If you want to hunt elk at 1k that should be easy. If you want to set the next world record, you may need to invest some extra cash.

it would be for elk and mule deer and I want to be proficient with the gun at at least 700-900 yards consistently. I am near Clay Spencer and I wan him to build the gun and use his barrel. In view of that what barrel and what load will you recommend that would or has been, historically speaking, the most accurate for elk and mule deer and for that range and that would shoot the best group and really kill with one shot at that range?

are you a hunter or compete with targets? ex military or self taught?

I do not own a 300 WM and have only put a handful of bullets through one. But, if I were to build one I would shoot the 215 Berger Hybrid and put a CIP length DBM on it.

I started shooting Bergers a few years back just on a whim. Killed three elk with three shots that year and never looked back!

They shoot great, hit like the hammer of Thor, and seem to me to be pretty easy to load for in all of my rifles and all that I've loaded for. Especially in a rifle that is throated properly (small jumps).

Since then I built my first custom, it was a wildcat I designed. In researching that I noticed that for whatever reason if you take a cartridge that is not extremely over bore (and less is more here), and seat the bullet to where only the boat-tail (or less) is below the neck. That cartridge will have a hard time NOT shooting.

Examples: 6mm BR, 30 BR, 7mm GT, 6.5 SS, 300 WSM (on a long action), 300 WM (seated long), and I'm sure there are plenty of others I'm not thinking of right now.

So, as I said, start with the 215 hybrids, H-1000, and a CIP length magazine that will allow you to seat the bullets out that far. And I think that you will be pretty happy.

I'm just a self taught red-neck that can't get enough trigger time so take all this with a grain of salt!:)

Well, I love my 300wm. I have a 26" bull taper, Krieger barrel on a Savage target action with the 5c rifling. I load a 208 Amax with 72.5 gr Re-22. I have killed elk at 60 yards out to 750 yards and they all dropped on the spot. I am self taught and shoot 600-1000 yards every week (if I can). Bergers are great but can be finicky to load. I love the 208 Amax as it is a relatively cheap bullet, it kills well and it is forgiving to load with. If Spencer does your build I am sure you can find a load that will shoot like you want it to, without having to try too hard. If you don't want to try the Amax I would go with a 210 or 215 berger. Re-22, Retumbo or H1000 are all great powders for the 300wm.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.