Building a 300 win mag.. Action question

DXHI

This will be my all purpose gun. Going to be used and abused

I have a chance to order a Remington action to start with .. Should I order the long or magnum size

Second I also have an old Mauser action that I'm willing to donate to the cause of it will hold up to and chamber the cartridge

I'd go with whichever is longer. More flexibility with seating with longer bullets. I shoot a long action with a 7 saum for that reason.

Just one man's opinion :)

This will be my all purpose gun. Going to be used and abused

I have a chance to order a Remington action to start with .. Should I order the long or magnum size

Second I also have an old Mauser action that I'm willing to donate to the cause of it will hold up to and chamber the cartridge

All Remington 700 long actions are the same length and all Remington 700 short actions are the same length.

What they are referring to as one being "magnum" is the bolt face diameter for most magnum cartridges, which is .540"...Which would be what you require for your .300 WinMag.

What is generally referred to as a "standard" (long or short) action means it has a .473" diameter bolt face (.22-250, .243, .260 Rem, .308 Win, .25-06, .270 Win, .30-06, etc...).

Depending on your specs, you might just be cheaper to end up getting one of these...

https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog...olt+Action+Centerfire/REM+700+5-R+300WM+26+SS

They're down to $895... I have NEVER seen a 5R this cheap. I have 2 of them, .308 Win, and a .300WM (same rifle I just posted a link to). The 5R Milspecs are some of the most accurate factory rifles you can buy. For $900, you would be money ahead to start with this rifle.

Thanks for clearing that up. Thought magnum length was something new. :)

No problem. There's so much disinformation on the web already, that when I can, I like to help clarify things for folks that come here. That way they are more educated, and therefore more confident, going forward. Knowledge is power, and one can never have too much of it.

Mud runner, thanks for the link .. Think I may jump on that ... Was going to use a bell and Carlson with a bartlein barrel

Was going to be around 1300 for what I have priced for everything

Mud runner, thanks for the link .. Think I may jump on that ... Was going to use a bell and Carlson with a bartlein barrel

Was going to be around 1300 for what I have priced for everything

With the 5R Milspec, you get a better stock (HS Precision), and the best factory barrel I've ever shot with handloads (which is why I have 2 of them). These Milspec barrels are the same exact 416R stainless barrels they use on the M24 sniper rifles, but they turn the contour down to the Sendero/Varmint contour.

Bartlein is an exceptional barrel, but you could save the money for now and shoot out the 5R barrel, then replace it with a Bartlein down the road.

Ordered!

A girl at work has a bf who does Cerakote so me thinking an upgrade to FDE on the metal

What's your glass setup for it?

Also, I recommend swapping that factory XMP trigger out immediately. That's the only thing about the newer Remingtons that I don't like.

Timney triggers are nice for the money.

All Remington 700 long actions are the same length and all Remington 700 short actions are the same length.

What they are referring to as one being "magnum" is the bolt face diameter for most magnum cartridges, which is .540"...Which would be what you require for your .300 WinMag.

What is generally referred to as a "standard" (long or short) action means it has a .473" diameter bolt face (.22-250, .243, .260 Rem, .308 Win, .25-06, .270 Win, .30-06, etc...).

Depending on your specs, you might just be cheaper to end up getting one of these...

https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog...olt+Action+Centerfire/REM+700+5-R+300WM+26+SS

They're down to $895... I have NEVER seen a 5R this cheap. I have 2 of them, .308 Win, and a .300WM (same rifle I just posted a link to). The 5R Milspecs are some of the most accurate factory rifles you can buy. For $900, you would be money ahead to start with this rifle.
The 5R Gen II can be bought for just about 150.00 more than the action alone at Bud's.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.