Building a custom rifle

bsimmons4

Got a few questions for you guys. I want to have a LH 6.5 Creedmor built for long range target shooting and hunting to at least 1,000 yards. I'm having a hard time making choices about barrel contour. What exactly is this? I know I want a heavy barrel, but I don't know what the different numbers stand for.

Also, does anyone have suggestions for a anyone who builds custom rifles that are blueprinted and have 1/2 moa accuracy guaranteed AND is economical? I've been checking places like Craig's Custom Rifles, ER Shaw (I don't think their rifles are blueprinted), and Snowy Mtn Rifles.

I will appreciate any help! Thanks

For what you are looking for,IE a heavy barreled gun. Means the weight is not a serious issue for your hunting needs. I would buy a ruger percision 6.5. Take a look at the reviews. Stock gun around $1200 and shoots amazing according to everyone I know who owns one and I trust. Of the budget type rifles you are looking at I would be willing to bet the ruger out shoots them. I'm not a huge fan of stock factory guns but a few are simply awsome. Like the Remington 5r mil spec and ruger percision.

I'm having a hard time making choices about barrel contour. What exactly is this? I know I want a heavy barrel, but I don't know what the different numbers stand for.

Maybe this will help >>> Lilja Barrel Contour Data - Lilja

Also, does anyone have suggestions for a anyone who builds custom rifles that are blueprinted and have 1/2 moa accuracy guaranteed AND is economical? I've been checking places like Craig's Custom Rifles, ER Shaw (I don't think their rifles are blueprinted), and Snowy Mtn Rifles.

SMR uses trued Remington 700 and their own custom action (Catalog (All) | Custom Long Range Precision Rifles | Snowy Mountain Rifles). IIRC (?), their actions were made for them exclusively by Defiance Machine; perhaps someone will chime in.

Economical? Unless you set a budget (i.e., $3000 for complete rifle only), it's hard to formulate a recommendation. Quality custom builds (components and craftsmanship) cost some very nice pennies. I am currently in the acquisition phase in building my next project and this is what I have thus far ...

$1000 - Big Horn Arms SR2 LA action with 20 MOA base and integral lug
$ 815 - XLR element chassis with folding adapter and 5-round LM CIP mag
$ 375 - 27" Lilja SS 3-groove 1:9" .308 Sendero contour
$ 170 - Timney CE trigger
$ 2360

As you can see, if I stay with the example $3000 budget, 79% went to components. Obviously, this is my personal choices and yours would be different, just throwing it out there to hopefully help you in your decision process. IMHO, your budget will be the driver.

IIWY, do extensive research and acquire all required components instead of your gunsmith, this way you know where the delay is going to be.

Good luck!

Ed

Last edited:
You sir are correct. No left hand ruger my bad I've been looking at way to many guns lol.
And as feenix said if you have a grand total you want to spend for the project it is much easier to help.

I just got my 6.5X47 back from Travis at RBROS Rifles. Could not be happier with the rifle. Travis will build on their Rogue action (Defiance) or true up a Rem 700 if you want. But as stated a budget would be helpful for advice. I would say for what you are looking at between $3-4000 will get you a very nice gun.

If expense is an issue, I would order the parts myself and have a competent smith put the rig together. It can, in some cases, save you some money in the end. If you're not sure what to get, your best bet is a competent custom shop. There are plenty of helpful people on this site that can lead you in the right direction.

Your question about contour refers to the diameter of the barrel itself. I personally wouldn't go bigger than a sendero contour (or something similar) for a hunting rifle in that particular caliber; for two reasons. The first being weight. The second reason is the larger diameter barrels can and do require stocks larger than the standard sporters to accommodate the larger diameter barrels. If you look on any custom stock website, they will specify what diameter barrel the forend will support.

As far as true half MOA guns go, there's as much that goes into the equipment (rifle) as there is with the person rolling the ammunition. I don't know what experience you have with reloading, but to get a true half MOA (or less) out of your rig, you will more than likely spend a few hours at the reloading bench swapping out components until you've found what works best. Again, there are many knowledgeable people on this site that can assist with that part of the equation as well.

Regards,
Erik

If you are wanting a custom rifle with superior quality, accuracy and looks, give Dallas Lane at Lane Precion Rifles a call.

As for as contours, I have a Sendero contour (bartlein) barrel on a 7LRM that is 28 inches with no brake. That may tend for you to believe it may be heavy, however with the right other components and stock you can make it light enough for hunting carry even in the mountains...I do and it has a nightforce NXS mounted on top.

I do have some good experience in reloading. So where would I go to find a competent custom shop? Where would I get my parts from? My budget is $3000 maximum for the rifle itself. Thanks guys

If you are wanting a custom rifle with superior quality, accuracy and looks, give Dallas Lane at Lane Precion Rifles a call.

As for as contours, I have a Sendero contour (bartlein) barrel on a 7LRM that is 28 inches with no brake. That may tend for you to believe it may be heavy, however with the right other components and stock you can make it light enough for hunting carry even in the mountains...I do and it has a nightforce NXS mounted on top.

+1 for Lane Precision Rifles - My 6.5 Sherman turned out incredible. Dallas definitely knows how to throw together some great shooting rifles.

I don't own any of the RBROS or Dallas rifles, but it's not from a lack of wanting one. Everything that I've read about them has been, they build some very nice rifles. One place you might look is Horizon Firearms, they are in College, Texas. The ones I have are the blue printed rem. 700 actions. I'm not an expert by any means, but the ones I have seem to be put together nicely and do shot well. Don't know if that helps, but it is at least something more to look at. Good luck

I shoot a 7 mag built by Quarter Minute Magnums. I've used it to take a number of marmots past the 3/4 quarter mile mark. He'll build on custom actions, or true a 700.

You might also look at Len's long range rifles offered right here on LRH.

If your budget does not favor a full custom, I've had great success with Cooper rifles. They guarantee half MOA accuracy, and with careful reloading I've gotten that accuracy from the 3 center fire's I've owned.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.