Instructions on building a semi-custom rifle

ronedog

After I read this article on "Building a long range rifle on a budget" at this link: http://www.longrangehunting.com/articles/long-range-rig.php I decided i wanted to look into the process of building my own long range rifle. I'm more interested in doing a semi-custom build, basically want to buy parts and put them together.

I've tried googling and searching these forums, looking for some step-by-step instructions on how to do this, but I'm not turning up much. I'm interested in a 7mm, but any instructions at this point will help me to understand what it takes. I just want to get an idea of the whole process I would have to go through, as well as the tools I would need to buy in order to do this, so I can decide if I really want to undertake a project like this.

Are there any good articles on the internet, or books you would recommend? Is this a bad idea for a newbie like me to try something like this...I figure everyone has to start out somewhere?

Thanks in advance.

Jerry pretty much says it all. And very well.

Reading other articles, etc, would be just that, reading and more reading. Wouldn't get you much more that what you already read.

For me, semi custom = DIY.

Purchased a 338 Win Mag w/3-9 VX II for very reasonable. Someone had screwed up the stock.

I repaired (lengthened) the stock. Added lead weight everywhere I could and reduced recoil to just about manageable.

Smith put on a Holland QD brake. Neat! Removed the added weight.

Was goofing around and broke the stock.:rolleyes:

Replaced with a Remmy tuperware stock. Shot better than wood pillared and skimmed BDL stock.

Got a 40 buck new Remmy 338 RUM sporter take off barrel. Smith fit the barrel and moved the brake onto it. (Took 6 months:rolleyes:)

Now she's nice and light with very reasonable recoil. Can spot shots from 100 to way out there. Half MOA or better accuracy.

Uglier than the north end of a south bound anything but is good to 1200 yards w/300 gr Bergers.

Start with a Savage or Stevens 200 and eliminate the gun smith. You'll have to learn all about head space and stuff.

When you start on the project ask specific questions regarding each step and you'll receive a lot of help from around here.

Not much to add to what Roy said , only sending along encouragement. I have built 2 rifles this way and both are real shooters.It is also very satisfying to have something shoot that well that you have put together on your own. You dont have to spend the $$$ most guys on this site do to have an accurate 1000 yd shooter. start by getting a savage/stevens/marlin donor rifle that has a barrel nut and go from there. I happen to have a 7mm rem mag barrel that i would part with reasonably if that is the direction you wish to go. If you are buying the gun new, why not just get a stevens in 7mm , and then tweak it to your liking. Do a search for other articles by Jerry and read the one about customizing the plastic stevens stock. Have fun..AJ

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.