Building a 6.5 PRC

Thanks for your post, but I want to build it myself. Just something I want to do with my son-in-law. We both are gong to build one together.

Assembling a rifle from parts is pretty uneventful and takes all of 10 minutes with a few tools, it less complicated than putting together a piece of IKEA furniture and is hardly "building" anything. You could buy the Seekins action wrench and pull the rifle apart and reassemble it if that's what gets you going.

I have several in various cartridges and configuration similar to what you laid out.
I would go with an anti-X XM plus Defiance or save some money and get a Defiance SA Classic . Both actions are lighter than what you specified. Go with a Manner LRH stock, built to your requirements. Proof pre-fit is a good choice.
Pucker factor precision has good prices on actions.

Good Day, I'm 71 years old and want to build a 6.5 PRC rifle for deer hunting. My shooting range is from 100 to 300 yards. I have several custom rifles in 25.06, 30.06 and a .264 Jarrett, all are great rifles but getting a little heavy. I have read several articles about the 6.5 PRC and Defiance-Proof Research Pre-Fit barrel. I would like to build a 6.5 PRC but I'm not sure which way to go. 22-inch or 24-inch barrel, pre-fit barrel or have a barrel blank chambered into a 6.5 PRC. Listed below are the rifle components I have selected for this rifle build. Just was wondering if any of you have any suggestions or different components. Building a hunting rifle is a little out of my league.
Thank you for your time and thoughts!

Long Range Hunting Rifle 6.5 PRC

Proof Research Carbon Fiber Sendero (22-inch or 24-inch barrel)
Defiance Ruckus GA Hunter Action – XM Action Length
Trigger Tech - Remington 700 Special Trigger
Hawkins Precision M5 Detachable Bottom Metal and Medium Action 3 round Magazine
AG Adjustable Chalk Branch Rifle Stock – Carbon Fiber
6.5c. Ammo availability?

Thanks for your post, but I want to build it myself. Just something I want to do with my son-in-law. We both are gong to build one together.
I think you have a solid parts list. Maybe just consider getting a barrel chambered specific to what bullets you plan to run so you don't run out of mag length when the throat starts to go. Assuming you're reloading and/or shooting heavies.

Sounds like maybe around 1300 or so but it'll take a couple more years before I get there on mine. Maybe more if they aren't too hot.
Damn It Oh No GIF by DefyTV

Grr…why can't they all have the barrel life of a .308 win?

I don't think you can go wrong with what you have selected. I put one together a 6.5 PRC last year and it was the most boring rifle to reload for.

Impact NBK
Proof Carbon Sendero - 7.5 twist 24"
Manners EH-1 w/chassis
TT Special
Fat Bastard
ARC M-Brase Rings
Vortex Razor Gen 2 4.5-27x56

Had rifle put together in less than an hour including mounting scope. Those ARC rings make it soooo easy!

Threw together a moderate starting load of:
153 gr A-Tips
55gr H1000
Win LR
2.975" COAL

First shot of rifle to find paper, next 4 grouped pretty good...
20230226_110158.jpg
20230322_142412.jpg

Last edited:
I would suggest having a reputable gunsmith build one that you can try shouldered prefits in the future. The problem with building one from parts is you may need to troubleshoot if there's a problem. If you reload and feel comfortable with bedding then I'd consider piecing one together. Once you have it together then you can feel confident screwing another barrel on. I've done a few of the barrel nut prefits and have had just as good success as a shouldered prefit but once I've gone through the trouble of head spacing with the barrel nut I'm inclined to not swap the barrel vs the shoulder is simply a matter of torquing the same. Hope this helps

I don't think you can go wrong with what you have selected. I put one together a 6.5 PRC last year and it was the most boring rifle to reload for.

Impact NBK
Proof Carbon Sendero - 7.5 twist 24"
Manners EH-1 w/chassis
TT Special
Fat Bastard
ARC M-Brase Rings
Vortex Razor Gen 2 4.5-27x56

Had rifle put together in less than an hour including mounting scope. Those ARC rings make it soooo easy!

Threw together a moderate starting load of:
153 gr A-Tips
55gr H1000
Win LR
2.975" COAL

First shot of rifle to find paper, next 4 grouped pretty good...
View attachment 553794View attachment 553795
Very nice Hope my build will shoot that good.