Building a 6.5 PRC

Good Day, I'm 71 years old and want to build a 6.5 PRC rifle for deer hunting. My shooting range is from 100 to 300 yards. I have several custom rifles in 25.06, 30.06 and a .264 Jarrett, all are great rifles but getting a little heavy. I have read several articles about the 6.5 PRC and Defiance-Proof Research Pre-Fit barrel. I would like to build a 6.5 PRC but I'm not sure which way to go. 22-inch or 24-inch barrel, pre-fit barrel or have a barrel blank chambered into a 6.5 PRC. Listed below are the rifle components I have selected for this rifle build. Just was wondering if any of you have any suggestions or different components. Building a hunting rifle is a little out of my league.
Thank you for your time and thoughts!

Long Range Hunting Rifle 6.5 PRC

Proof Research Carbon Fiber Sendero (22-inch or 24-inch barrel)
Defiance Ruckus GA Hunter Action – XM Action Length
Trigger Tech - Remington 700 Special Trigger
Hawkins Precision M5 Detachable Bottom Metal and Medium Action 3 round Magazine
AG Adjustable Chalk Branch Rifle Stock – Carbon Fiber

Good Day, I'm 71 years old and want to build a 6.5 PRC rifle for deer hunting. My shooting range is from 100 to 300 yards. I have several custom rifles in 25.06, 30.06 and a .264 Jarrett, all are great rifles but getting a little heavy. I have read several articles about the 6.5 PRC and Defiance-Proof Research Pre-Fit barrel. I would like to build a 6.5 PRC but I'm not sure which way to go. 22-inch or 24-inch barrel, pre-fit barrel or have a barrel blank chambered into a 6.5 PRC. Listed below are the rifle components I have selected for this rifle build. Just was wondering if any of you have any suggestions or different components. Building a hunting rifle is a little out of my league.
Thank you for your time and thoughts!

Long Range Hunting Rifle 6.5 PRC

Proof Research Carbon Fiber Sendero (22-inch or 24-inch barrel)
Defiance Ruckus GA Hunter Action – XM Action Length
Trigger Tech - Remington 700 Special Trigger
Hawkins Precision M5 Detachable Bottom Metal and Medium Action 3 round Magazine
AG Adjustable Chalk Branch Rifle Stock – Carbon Fiber
It doesn't have to be tough. Lots of info here and on YouTube university. Buy the right tools and not a big deal. Feeling queasy still? Buy the parts and have a smith build it.

Thanks. Yes I have been looking at YouTube and lot of reading. It does look simple just a few things I'm not sure about. Biggest question I have, is a pre fit action and barrel as good as having a barrel chambered and action set up by a gunsmith?

Why a short mag for 300 yards and less? Good thing for choices!🥳 I built an AR in 6.5prc along with a 7saum. Unfortunately there is coal limits unlike in ba's fir the 6.5prc. Heads up on Norma 6.5prc ammo, it isn't for most throated in that chamber.? It's more for short actions with 2.860-2.880" mag limits. Mine measured 2.860" with 143 golden target ammo. Not sure on accuracy yet? Get an action that'll go out to 3" or so. Kinda like the xl short mag.

Not sure how light you are going for, but I have built a 6.5 PRC using the below components and without scope it is 8.3lbs.
Kelbly Atlas Tactical S/A
AG Composite Adjustable Armor with 4" Arca Rail
Pre-Fit Preferred Barrel 750 Taperless 25" with Diamond Fluting
Self Timing Meraki 3 Port Muzzle Brake
Hawkins M5 Obendorf BDL
Wyatt's MBE-4
Trigger Tech Diamond set at 1.5lbs
This rifle shoots very good with factory Hornady 143gr ELDX ammo. The only thing I need to do is Cerakote all Metal with Midnight Bronze and she will be ready to sell. Below is a picture from yesterday three shot group after bedding the recoil lug.
IMG_20240308_162156184.jpg

Not sure how light you are going for, but I have built a 6.5 PRC using the below components and without scope it is 8.3lbs.
Kelbly Atlas Tactical S/A
AG Composite Adjustable Armor with 4" Arca Rail
Pre-Fit Preferred Barrel 750 Taperless 25" with Diamond Fluting
Self Timing Meraki 3 Port Muzzle Brake
Hawkins M5 Obendorf BDL
Wyatt's MBE-4
Trigger Tech Diamond set at 1.5lbs
This rifle shoots very good with factory Hornady 143gr ELDX ammo. The only thing I need to do is Cerakote all Metal with Midnight Bronze and she will be ready to sell. Below is a picture from yesterday three shot group after bedding the recoil lug.
View attachment 551999
Thank you very much for the info and sharing your build info!

Very easy to do it yourself. Just an action wrench, torque wrench, you'll want to torque it on to 80 ft lbs, and a barrel vise. I use the Brownells barrel vise with aluminum bushings machined to your barrel OD, 1.250 for a proof. I've had several proof prefits and they have all shot really well. If you want to use a specific bullet then maybe have a smith chamber it to the correct freebore.

Just me but skip the AG and get a Mcmillian

Very easy to do it yourself. Just an action wrench, torque wrench, you'll want to torque it on to 80 ft lbs, and a barrel vise. I use the Brownells barrel vise with aluminum bushings machined to your barrel OD, 1.250 for a proof. I've had several proof prefits and they have all shot really well. If you want to use a specific bullet then maybe have a smith chamber it to the correct freebore.

Just me but skip the AG and get a Mcmillian
Thanks for the info. I will check out the McMillian also.

Thanks. Yes I have been looking at YouTube and lot of reading. It does look simple just a few things I'm not sure about. Biggest question I have, is a pre fit action and barrel as good as having a barrel chambered and action set up by a gunsmith?
Thats a good question. I think the biggest difference is with a smith who has a proven track record it's pretty much guaranteed to shoot if you get a quality barrel. The same thing applies with a prefit however you have no control over who is chambering the rifle. I have done 3 prefits( barrel nut set ups). 1 savage and 2 remingtons. 2 of them shoot good. The third one we are still working on. Criterion barrels. The thing I like about the barrel nut is I can control the headspace. If your going to use a custom action and a good barrel it should shoot. We have just used stock actions and gotten good results. The Seekins as mentioned is a lot of rifle for the money. From what I have seen they shoot well.

Thats a good question. I think the biggest difference is with a smith who has a proven track record it's pretty much guaranteed to shoot if you get a quality barrel. The same thing applies with a prefit however you have no control over who is chambering the rifle. I have done 3 prefits( barrel nut set ups). 1 savage and 2 remingtons. 2 of them shoot good. The third one we are still working on. Criterion barrels. The thing I like about the barrel nut is I can control the headspace. If your going to use a custom action and a good barrel it should shoot. We have just used stock actions and gotten good results. The Seekins as mentioned is a lot of rifle for the money. From what I have seen they shoot well.
Thanks for the info!

Recent Posts