Building a 6.5-284

panhandlepr

I'm a southpaw and have aquired a Charles Daly LH action and am now in the process of ordering the barrel. It will be used for dry land deer and antlope hunting using the 120 Nosler BT. What twist barrel would be best for this bullet. Thanks

Panhandlepr

the 120 would probably shoot fine with a 1-10 twist BUT , I personaly would get a 1-8 just incase you want to use a heavier bullet latter down the road.
Speeking of heavier bullets , what makes you want the 120 Ballistic tip? I'm having a 260 built and plan to shoot the 140 A-max , its got alot better BC than the Ballistic tip for the longer shots and the bullet is alot longer so it has better sectional density wich will allow it to penitrate a little better but its still a pretty fragile bullet to allow good expansion.

Not trying to sway you one way or the other but I persoanly would get a 1-8 twist just in case you want to try your hand at longer ranges , or bigger animals

I'm having a 6.5X300 Win Mag built(a few hundred FPS faster than the 6.5X284) and ordered a 1-8 but I'm going to change it to a 1-7.5 so I can shoot the really heavy bullets up to 169.5.

I believe the 1-8 twist is good to 150gr though.

Not sure if your lower velocity will make a difference.

Blygy

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.