6.5 PRC Rifle build

Kmccord

I am looking into building this rifle within the next year or so, I am planning on using Kelbly Atlas Tactical actions, but my conundrum on the 6.5 PRC is which action SA or LA? I have looked for bottom metal, Hawkins has bottom metal that will use the Wyatt's Extended box for SA designed for the 6.5 PRC, HS Precision bottom metal is the DBM in a LA made specifically for the 6.5 PRC. If you are going to run the 140 to 156 Berger's in this cartridge what are you guys using in the action length and bottom metal? Thanks in advance.

If you want to shoot the 156gr Berger's I'd go with a long action. I've built a few and have used Hawkins hunter bottom metal and detachable mags and also Hawkins m5 or their bdl floor plates. They feed flawlessly out out the magazines but do require some work to get them to feed out if the wyatt's box reliably.

If you want to shoot the 156gr Berger's I'd go with a long action. I've built a few and have used Hawkins hunter bottom metal and detachable mags and also Hawkins m5 or their bdl floor plates. They feed flawlessly out out the magazines but do require some work to get them to feed out if the wyatt's box reliably.
So, Hawkins Hunter LA DBM is what you found to work flawless? What were the issues using the Wyatt's box?

Wyatt's doesn't make a specific box for the 6.5 prc for a long action. If you use the 300 Prc box the window is cut in the wrong spot and the shorter 6.5 case doesn't feed correctly. What I did was use a box with no window cut out and then cut the shape of the 300 Prc window in it, but moved back about 9/16". Doing that seemed to make them work reliably. I spoke with Kevin Wyatt about this and he was thinking about making some boxes this way but I'm not sure he's made any yet.

Wyatt's doesn't make a specific box for the 6.5 prc for a long action. If you use the 300 Prc box the window is cut in the wrong spot and the shorter 6.5 case doesn't feed correctly. What I did was use a box with no window cut out and then cut the shape of the 300 Prc window in it, but moved back about 9/16". Doing that seemed to make them work reliably. I spoke with Kevin Wyatt about this and he was thinking about making some boxes this way but I'm not sure he's made any yet.
I have one built on a Curtis Customs short with a mag box oal of 2.980 with the Curtis bottom metal that also will work with the Hawkins bottom metal of 2.980 ,and another 6.5prc on a long action pre 64 mod 70 win . The magazines I use are also for the 300wsm works perfect.

I have one built on a Curtis Customs short with a mag box oal of 2.980 with the Curtis bottom metal that also will work with the Hawkins bottom metal of 2.980 ,and another 6.5prc on a long action pre 64 mod 70 win . The magazines I use are also for the 300wsm works perfect.

If you're going to shoot 156gr Berger's and want the shank of the bullet seated above the neck/shoulder junction those mag boxes will be too short.