build or buy

This thread is very entertaining!! I am on both sides of the fence. I have customs and factory rifles. All are comfortable and shoot the way I want them too. However, this thread is about you, not us. There is really no such thing IMHO as "lower end custom" rifles. Now this is a argumentative crowd in here so I might get some criticism, but custom rifles are built by gunsmiths that aren't willing to cut corners to save money. Now I know there are these smiths out there and therefore you need to be diligent and find a reputable one. The last thing you want to do is buy used up parts to put a beautiful rifle together and find out it doesn't shoot up to your expectations. So my suggestion is a Remington Sendero cambered in 300 win. Certainly not the lightest gun, but boy are they comfortable and shoot great right out of the box. Very accurate for a factory rifle. Buy yourself a good scope and you'll be shooting a factory gun that is accurate. If you want to go the custom/semi custom route, make sure you take your time and find the right parts and smith to do the job you expect.

Jayson

I just meant in the big scheme of things.....a ready to ship rifle from a custom maker can be in the $3K range all the way up to $7K (and plenty higher) depending on the maker and components. I guess to be particular if it is ready to ship it is not truly custom, but if it checks all the boxes I am not opposed to that at all.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts