Build on Vangaurd?

RangerBrad

I have long considered a buid for a 300wm. I always thought I would build it on a Winchester action as I have always been a fan of their 3 position safety and figured all components and after market things would be easily atainable.

However, I was offered for sale a Vangaurd ( unsure of which version)in 300wm that has never been shot and has a timmeny trigger. I know little or nothing of this action. I once got a Vangaurd 7mm rem mag in a trade but gave it to my dad as a gift.

Would this action be Good to rebuid on? are componets such as new stocks, scope mounts, barrels, etc... easily atainable? Like I stated i'm not even sure wich vangaurd it is however I've seen on the net that they are all the same with the exception of barrel and stock which I would want to replace anyway. There seems to be alot of diffrence in price so I guess until I find out which series/model it is I won't even know what to offer. However, I figured I might want to check with yal to see if I would want it at any price. Thank's, Brad

I think it's a solid choice for a build. A number of custom shops use them.... Christensen Arms come to mind as one of them. I have a Howa with that action and I think it's a good one.

They are every bit as good of an action as a remmy or win. They just lack a little bit of aftermarket support, though still not bad. I would go for it.
There was a similar question asked a couple years back and several reputable builders recommended them.

Rangerbrad, I have a Vanguard I purchased from my neighbor like new. It is a long action so I added a new barrel chambered in .257 Wby. and Bell & Carlson Medallist stock, Timney trigger, Talley lightweight rings topped with a Nikon Monarch 4x16 scope. I am very happy with this rifle and it shoots under 1/2 min. at 100 yd. Forgot I also had the barrel cryogenic treated just to try the process on a barrel, only $55. The action has presented no problems and with the longer bolt throw than my Mark V's cycles smoothly. Just my 2 cents.

My dad has a 6.5-06AI that is built on a Howa 1500, which is who makes the Vanguard, and it shoots extremely well. He had a Manners T2 stock put on it and installed a Timney trigger.

Probably the biggest issue you will run into with using a Howa/Vanguard action is the barrel threads are metric and not all "smiths" can cut metric threads. I'm sure there are still plenty of gunsmiths that CAN cut those metric threads but if you are going to build off this Vanguard rifle you are looking to purchase, I would consider tracking down a gunsmith that can cut the barrel threads before you buy it but as for it being a solid build platform I think Howa's are as good as any of the others and better than most.

Before you rebuild this rifle, you might want to shoot it. A lot of Vanguards are great shooters right out out of the box. You would loose some efficiency from the 24" barrel.

They are an excellent action to build from and you can get a Timney 3 position safety trigger for them. Some smiths will re-thread the reciever to standard threads which is what my smith did with the 2 he built for me. The B&C Medalist will take up to about a #5 contour but anything larger and you'll need a McMillan or Manners. The Manners stock that I got was actually contoured for the 700 action and inleted for the Vanguard, so the tang of the reciever stuck up out of the stock. The smith rounded the edges of the tang to compensate.

The 300 WM will work in it but IMO is a little crowded for seating long bullets efficiently.

I had a 257 Weatherby built on one. I used a Brux# 4 Contour and a B&C Medaist Stock. It fit perfect with the Brux #4. The gun is incredibly accurate. I couldn't be happier and would have zero reservations about about building another.

As others have said, be sure to check with your smith, as some will not build on them due to the metric threading.

After speaking with seller last night he wants more than I was willing to give and I believe may of regretted offering to sell it. The hunt is still on. I'm going to start a new thread to build my new rifle piece by piece and look fwd to yal's input. Thank's, Brad

You used to be able to pick up a Howa for under $300 pretty easy. I bought the donor my dad used to build his 6.5-06ai for $275. It was one of the cheap, plastic stocked models but it didn't really matter because all he used for his 6.5 build was the receiver. Now they seem to cost as much as a Rem 700.

There is a guy over on snipershide that specializes in all things Howa related and I think he even has a det. mag. system for Howa's. I don't remember if he does an extended mag box or not. It's been some time since I was on that site.

I offered $300 but the seller stated he had nearly that much in timminey trigger and scope rings. I understand his point howeve, I just wanted it as a donator as I intend to replace stock and barrel. We just didn't come to an agrement. Brad

I would definitely factor in the trigger and rings into the cost if I were you. Even if you pay $400 for it, that would be better than finding another one for $300 and then having to by the Timney and rings. Just a thought...

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts