Weatherby Vangaurd adjustments

I think I am also going to go with HSM ammo along witht the floating of barrel. Is the rate of twist on my barrel adequate for the 168gr. Also is it adequate for higher gr ammo by hsm?

Thanks,
Dennis

Should be the good stuff. That link I gave you had two very good types of ammo. I am not so much pushing that site but it had the Info about the loads and the loads for sale. And it was recommended by HSM as a certified vendor.

I know a lot of folks like that ammo, and it is GOOD stuff, but for 7mm general purpose long range hunting I prefer the 162gr Amax load. Again recommended by sniper central in that link. There were actually a couple loads, the other one was a very tried and true load.

But yeah, HSM is good stuff,
Gary

I think I am also going to go with HSM ammo along witht the floating of barrel. Is the rate of twist on my barrel adequate for the 168gr. Also is it adequate for higher gr ammo by hsm?
Thanks,
Dennis

Depending on bullet length and consequently weight as determined by caliber, density, and shape, you need some given rate of twist to stabilize your bullets in flight.

There's a lot of info around. I usually refer to Shilen's website as a quick reference, but many others have detailed formulas and info...
Welcome to Shilen Rifles, Inc.

These are just guidelines and some rifles are more forgiving than others. When in doubt, shoot it and see. But, you would probably want to factor the twist in if you're building or rebarreling based on the bullets you would like to shoot.

Most factory rifles cover a fairly good range. My experience is that older rifles may be slow. Particularly if made when bullets were predominantly lead and not particularly lengthy as you see with modern VLDs.

You can look up the twist for your barrel on the mfg website. Or, you can measure your twist as described in the following article...
TECH TIP: How to Determine Your Barrel's Actual Twist Rate « Daily Bulletin

Hope this helps.
Richard

Hey guys i wanted to know what you think about the savage long range hunter rifle. i can pick one up for under 600 and was wondering if you guys consider this a much better rifle then my vangaurd? Would this solve any trigger problems or bedding of the stock on a vangaurd. Thanks guys.

You dont know until you shoot it. I have almost all vanguards and mark 5's, My vanguards all shot 1/2 moa, my 243 is almost 40 yrs. old and is a tack driver. Both my son and I have taken bulls with it. Itr is untouched.I have reloaded since I was 12,and that is one of your best tools. stock work, on original helps most problems, for little effort

sp6x6,

My experience has been a little different than yours.
...perhaps just bad luck, ignorance, or small sample size.

I have always loved Weatherby. That's why I clung to several over the years even though they never shot very well.

On the other hand, I looked down on Savages until I bought one for kicks and every Savage I've owned since has been a shooter.

Either way, you are correct. If you already own a Vangard, by all means shoot it and see.

Regardless, under $600 for a Savage LRH is a great price for a very nice rifle.

Thanks,
Richard

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.