Advise on build

goblbustr

Build, 338 Lapua mag. what I have so far, McMillon XTR stock, TriggerTech special trigger, Defiance Devient action. need advice on barrel, length, contour and brand (thinking 31" sendero, Hart). Rings and Scope $3000 or less (thinking Kahles on Talley rings) And last but not least should I set my action up as single shot or mag fed? Thanks in advance.

I have a 338 lapua, and a 375 cheytac that are both repeaters. I can tell with 100% confidence that I have never once fed a round through the magazine. I have basically treated them as single shots. These are both hunting rifles. If I ever build another big boomer, it will be on a single shot for sure.
Other than that, I don't know your intentions with it. How much do you want it to weigh?
Hunting?
Target gun?
Range you intend to shoot?

I have a 338 lapua, and a 375 cheytac that are both repeaters. I can tell with 100% confidence that I have never once fed a round through the magazine. I have basically treated them as single shots. These are both hunting rifles. If I ever build another big boomer, it will be on a single shot for sure.
Other than that, I don't know your intentions with it. How much do you want it to weigh?
Hunting?
Target gun?
Range you intend to shoot?

it will be a hunting rifle, but weight isn't a great concern, because of my locations it wont be carried far. beside the fact that you have only used it as a single shot is there any other reason you have found or know (better accuracy, less expensive etc.)

They're cheaper, but that's not really why.
Single shot actions load easier as single shots than repeaters do, so in my case it would be nicer.
Single shot actions are supposed to be a little more stiff and some think that this can help with accuracy, but I doubt this is much of a reason, considering what repeater actions are capable of.

My big gun has a DBM as I use it for hunting and like DBMs for that purpose. However, is your plan for a toy or bench gun? Then single shot makes much more sense. I've seen some PRS guns with a slick system for having two rounds attached the side of the stock just in front of the action. This way you could get a round quick without breaking a prone stance. With this setup, a magazine for hunting may not even be required.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.