vangaurd weatherby rifles

ann brezinski

what are your thoughts on these rifles as far as compared to a Remington or a Winchester .are they made better as far as workmanship in looks and quality?
gary b

Hard to find a more accurate out of the box rifle at that price range. Fit and finish on par with the two you mentioned.

I had an S2 in 300 weatherby. Gun was shooting 1/2" groups with factory ammo. One of the few guns I regret selling. I own and have owned Weatherby's, Remington 700's, Brownings, amd Savages, TC's etc. I think for the quality and accuracy out of the box, weatherby vanguards are hard to beat. My bro in law has a vanguard in 223 that is a tackdriver. i bought a cheap rem 700 in 223 varmint. The trigger sucked, so I eventually replaced it with a timney, the stock was flimsey and when using a bipod would make contact with the barrel chamging the POI, so I eventually replaced that. Tons of after market stuff with the remi's, but in order to get it shooting as well as my Bro in laws 223 weatherby vanguard i had to throw some money at it. My son's first rifle will be a weatherby vanguard when the time come. Tough to beat for the price. I know Tikka and savage both make very accuate guns for good prices too, I know they weren't on your list, but maybe something to look into.

Bought a Vanguard for the grandson in .257Wby on sale at Sportsmans Warehouse. Added a Timney and B&C stock. Wish I'd kept it for myself since it is way sub-MOA out to 500 yds. I've seen several other Howa/Vanguards shoot as well also.

I have an S2 in .240 Wby Mag that turned out to be a dud. I can shoot it five times and spend the next two nights scrubbing copper. It's the most inconsistent rifle that I've personally witnessed. I like the rifle so it went into the future projects pile. I plan to install a quality barrel someday and hopefully get to enjoy it at that point.

I have an S2 in .240 Wby Mag that turned out to be a dud. I can shoot it five times and spend the next two nights scrubbing copper. It's the most inconsistent rifle that I've personally witnessed. I like the rifle so it went into the future projects pile. I plan to install a quality barrel someday and hopefully get to enjoy it at that point.

As much as I like Weatherby's Mark V and Vanguard, the original .243 barrel had this problem so I replaced it with a 260 barrel from Pac-Nor.

I wonder that the 6mm/.243 hammer forged barrels are problematic.

Did you try contacting Weatherby? They have great customer service.

I picked up a Weatherby Wilderness in .270 and shoots very well without having to do anything to it but scope it. They offer a lot for the price. The factory trigger adjustability is very good. No need to replace, like on a 700. Only thing I wish they had was a shorter throw on the bolt, but it's not a big deal. Can still get off fast follow up shots.

got three Remington 700's, 1 in 300win and 2 in 7mm and a ruger in 7mm, all shoot well an to me look great!! I am just finishing up a custom build based on a rem 700 action in 7mm for a third. not saying that a weatherby is bad!!! but to me 1/4in groups at 100yrds is good enough for me. If it were me I would be more concerned with how it fits, feels in hand, trigger break than how it looks........

I have one Howa 338 with over molded stock and for a production it shoots very well.
I started shooting full custom rifles about 4 years ago and own 3 and one in the pipe, can't look back now. Not a habit I recommend anyone get into but it happens. I now have a safe full of production rifles that never see the light of day; kind of sad. gun):D

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts