Build My Elk Rifle

Thanks for the input guys. I know what some of ya are sayin', those weatherby rifles are looking pretty nice. For some reason a 300 weatherby mag sounds so good. Now I guess I gotta ask mark v or vanguard? pros and cons to each? I know the mark v's are expensive but it will likely be a rifle I keep until I die so if i go a little over budget it's not that big of a deal.

Thanks for the input guys. I know what some of ya are sayin', those weatherby rifles are looking pretty nice. For some reason a 300 weatherby mag sounds so good. Now I guess I gotta ask mark v or vanguard? pros and cons to each? I know the mark v's are expensive but it will likely be a rifle I keep until I die so if i go a little over budget it's not that big of a deal.

Of course the Mark 5 is a lot stronger and nicer action, but the Vanguard will do the job with no issues I'm sure.

However, I think if you were going to spend the money to buy a Mark 5, you might as well build a full custom hunting rifle.

A used mark v is bout same as just a custom action only. There are some great deals on classifreids here. I really nice semi custom , think it was a 300/338 lai just went for not much over $2400 it was one of Autorates fine rifles, the stock alone would be $800 today for the Lonewolf it was wearing

A used mark v is bout same as just a custom action only. There are some great deals on classifreids here. I really nice semi custom , think it was a 300/338 lai just went for not much over $2400 it was one of Autorates fine rifles, the stock alone would be $800 today for the Lonewolf it was wearing

Not sure what custom actions you are talking about??? I hope you are not paying that much for a custom "hunting" action. Even if your statement were tru, which it is not, and he opted for a second hand Mark 5, he'd still have a used rifle...

I'd personally rather have a fresh Krieger or Brux sitting on the front of a nice receiver if spending that much money. Just my opinion though.

My choice would be 300wsm. In my opinion the 300wsm is the most versatile .30 there is. It will far outshine a 30-06 and duplicate 300win mag performance with less powder and if built on a long action it will handle long 208-215gr bullets and perform easily out to 1000 and beyond. I have owned two 300wsm built on long actions one light sporter around 8lbs and one heavy tactical at 12lbs and both shot .5moa with factory ammo. I built the light rifle with a remington 700 ADL 7mm mag I picked up for $350 at a pawn shop. The stock was an HS Precision ADL sporter stock I got on sale at cabelas for $300 new. And the barrel was a pre-thread and pre chambered stainless Shilen barrel from midway USA for $340. With an action true for $100 and barrel install for another $100 you have a light mountain ready, simi custom rifle for $1200 with $800left for a vx3 4.5-14x50lr with rings and bases.

With your budget I would buy a Remington Sendero in 7MM Rem Mg, 300Win, 300 RUM, or 338 RUM depending on how much recoil you want. I have had several of these rifles and they preform very well for around a thousand bucks. Put the rest of the money into whatever optic platform you like and have fun. -------SS

Not sure what custom actions you are talking about??? I hope you are not paying that much for a custom "hunting" action. Even if your statement were tru, which it is not, and he opted for a second hand Mark 5, he'd still have a used rifle...

I'd personally rather have a fresh Krieger or Brux sitting on the front of a nice receiver if spending that much money. Just my opinion though.
Im refering to something like a Defiance and you can get a good used Weatherby for same price, seen many.That is in the neighbor hood of $1200. I used Defiance as example since I live about a block away.

Im refering to something like a Defiance and you can get a good used Weatherby for same price, seen many.That is in the neighbor hood of $1200. I used Defiance as example since I live about a block away.

Yeah those are very nice actions. But then you have a Defiance action right? Though the Defiance is a little much for a hunting rifle IMO. There are many 700 clones out there for a lot less that are more than qualified to build a top notch custom hunting rifle.

I live in Kalispell as well. Perhaps we will get to know each other more in the future.

Did you get all of your special Bull Elk and Deer permits in? I hope to draw a rifle breaks elk tag this year since I got a fighting chance with a lot of preference points. Also have a Colorado mule deer hunt in the plans, but might not draw that hunt until next year. Take care.

Has anyone had any experience with the Remington 700 Long Range? I had a SPS varmint in 308 that I put a B&C M40 on it and had it hover around .5 MOA with handloads. I figure I could assume similar results with one of these and at $699 brand new I figure that would fit into my budget best.

You can easily build a nice long range elk gun for under $2K. I just did it myself. I purchased a new savage 16 7mm WSM for $475. I replaced the tupperware stock with a Boyds lightweight thumbhole stock for $99. Warne scope base and burris signature zee rings for $75. I put a brand new vortex viper HS 4-16X50 that I purchased from the classified on this board for $400. I purchased a set of pillars and a bedding kit for about $27. I am planning to get the stock dipped, which will be right around $100. I scoured the boards and purchased 200 peices of brass for $78 and purchased a box of 168gr bergers for $46. Dies and an 8lb tub of IMR 4831 for $175.
I believe I put together a really nice long range package to include all my reloading supplies for under $1500 which is a half MOA rifle. You can easily put together a really nice long range elk rifle well within your budget.

I fully agree with Boman when it comes to rifle weight! From the sound of it you probably won't be on horseback so you'll want something lightweight to remain mobile. I've owned heavy rifles and the last thing I ever wanted to do is lug that thing up and down the hills going after elk.

So far as caliber it depends on if you'll be reloading or buying ammo over the counter. ANY Weatherby round will be $$$. The 300 WM, WSM, .338 WM, 7mm RM will be readily available at convenience stores in that area. Anything outsd ethe box will be tough over the counter but again, if you're reloading who cares. I own a 300 WSM and a .338 WM. The WSM with a Leupold VXIII 4.5-14 is just over 8lbs. and is fantastic for anything in CO. I've killed elk at 420 yards with a 180gr bullet with no problem. Be sure to get a neoprene sling because they help absorb the bounce when hiking!!

Have a great move and let us know what you get!

Sp6x6 had it right. For a dedicated elk rifle I'd go 340wby. Its what I did a few times over. I also hunt some of those units and know most shots are under 400yds. Most of mine are within 50.. I eventually went custom for a 7lb scoped rifle. But what I would do if I were you is buy a used Kimber montana in 300win or 338win. If they shoot well throw a scope on and go. But what id do is rebarrel it to 340wby and add a Leupold vx3 and be done. You can add turrets or go with a bc reticle your choice. Good luck and congrats on your upcoming graduation.

Hawk4974,
Great points on reloading vs over the counter ammo. There is no way I'd pay for factory Wby ammo. I reload so I went 340.

For factory dedicated elk gun I'd go .300wsm, .300win,338 win

Yeah, if you're reloading the 340 is fantastic! I'm guessing the OP is moving as we talk about this...

I sent you a PM Boman

Hawk4974,
Great points on reloading vs over the counter ammo. There is no way I'd pay for factory Wby ammo. I reload so I went 340.

For factory dedicated elk gun I'd go .300wsm, .300win,338 win

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.