My 1st Elk

Very nice first elk for sure!!! I still remember my first elk, it was the 3rd time we, dad and I, went. 30 some years ago, HOLY CRAP. Back when 400 yards was a very long ways and you figured out your bullet drop the old fashion way, on paper. Got bit real hard by the elk fever way back then. Fast forward couple years now my son is 26 and has the fever also and can cover ground like his old man could a while back. Leaving for Co tomorrow. I promise to post pictures when we get back.

Very nice first elk for sure!!! I still remember my first elk, it was the 3rd time we, dad and I, went. 30 some years ago, HOLY CRAP. Back when 400 yards was a very long ways and you figured out your bullet drop the old fashion way, on paper. Got bit real hard by the elk fever way back then. Fast forward couple years now my son is 26 and has the fever also and can cover ground like his old man could a while back. Leaving for Co tomorrow. I promise to post pictures when we get back.
Good luck!

@raedmonson Congrats on the first elk! Greg Young at SPR (aka bugholes) would love to see this if you haven't shared with him already. He's my gunsmith too.

His shop spun up my most recent barrel that I'll take on my first elk hunt next month.
I sent Greg and Russ a picture the other day and they were excited about the elk and how the gun performed.
They are great people and have spent a few hours at the shop talking "whatever" with Greg.
They do awesome work and they will do all of my gunsmith work going forward.
Good luck on your hunt!

Shot this 5x5 in Wyoming on October 5th. First day of my hunt. He was standing on the outer edge of a big herd. Apparently he had gotten into a scuffle with the herd bull due to a fresh puncture wound to his neck. I was chasing the heard elk 6x6 last week between last week and the time I spotted him, he had broken off one side so he was a 6x0.
Hit him broadside at 310 yards took out liver and lungs. He walked 5 yards and fell over.
Southern Precision Rifles
300 Rum
180 grain Hammer hunter.
There was very limited damage to the meat.
Unfortunately, I'm hooked on Elk!
Forgot to add, he produced 250 lbs of good elk meat!
Nice elk, great shot ,and a definite shout out to Greg Young and Southern precision rifle's. He has built several for me and always done a great job!

Congrats on what's hopefully the first of many.

Thanks for including the boned out weight of the elk. I remember killing my first cow on a Texas high fence. She was in great shape as it was a cattle ranch with excellent improved grasses which is ideal elk browse. I was a bit taken back with amount of meat but said to myself it's a cow. Two years later I killed a bull that didn't yeild much more. In his defense, he was on public land in NM and drawn down post rut.:)