My 1st Elk

raedmonson

Shot this 5x5 in Wyoming on October 5th. First day of my hunt. He was standing on the outer edge of a big herd. Apparently he had gotten into a scuffle with the herd bull due to a fresh puncture wound to his neck. I was chasing the heard elk 6x6 last week between last week and the time I spotted him, he had broken off one side so he was a 6x0.
Hit him broadside at 310 yards took out liver and lungs. He walked 5 yards and fell over.
Southern Precision Rifles
300 Rum
180 grain Hammer hunter.
There was very limited damage to the meat.
Unfortunately, I'm hooked on Elk!
Forgot to add, he produced 250 lbs of good elk meat!

Attachments

• IMG_0572.jpeg
    IMG_0572.jpeg
    777.5 KB · Views: 267
  • IMG_0574.jpeg
    IMG_0574.jpeg
    522.5 KB · Views: 273
Last edited:
Congratulations and thks for posting, I'm sure you worked plenty chasing that herd around that's no easy feat. But your persistence payed off ,and your fine rifle and gear made it happen Congrats again all around. 🥳🥳🥳👏👏👍😆

Thanks
Yes, you are correct. The whole experience is etched into my brain for the rest of my life

My first was a calf…..yet 37 years later, I remember every detail!

Including the long night spent trailing, finding, field dressing, hauling a friend's elk back to camp …..mostly because of a poor choice of bullets!

Oh, getting back to camp after 01:00 hours, tired and cold…..only to find that we had a visitor during our absence that liberated us of much of our food! 😉😂 memtb

Shot this 5x5 in Wyoming on October 5th. First day of my hunt. He was standing on the outer edge of a big herd. Apparently he had gotten into a scuffle with the herd bull due to a fresh puncture wound to his neck. I was chasing the heard elk 6x6 last week between last week and the time I spotted him, he had broken off one side so he was a 6x0.
Hit him broadside at 310 yards took out liver and lungs. He walked 5 yards and fell over.
Southern Precision Rifles
300 Rum
180 grain Hammer hunter.
There was very limited damage to the meat.
Unfortunately, I'm hooked on Elk!
Forgot to add, he produced 250 lbs of good elk meat!
Congrats! I'm gonna try the 180 hammer hunter this year.