CO 1st Season Bull and my first elk ever!!

ARSHUTR

Well, I'm finally getting around to posting pics from my first elk hunt and I want to start by saying that it was a great learning experience.
My buddies Mel, Marc, Martin, and myself went to Douglas Pass, CO (Unit 21) for a 1st Season, Rifle, Colorado Elk Hunt last week (12-16 Oct). My rifle of choice was a Winchester Model 70 chambered in 7mm WSM; loaded with a stiff, but safe load of RL 22....topped with 154 gr Hornady Interbond bullets. Muzzle velocity was right at 3075 fps and grouped easily under an inch at 100 yds with a newly acquired Minox Z3 scope and the XR-BDC reticle. We obtained solid zero's in Nebraska out to 600 yds or so and had additional ballistic drop data out to 800 yds +. The rifle performed great during sight in and as you can see, that transitioned to the hunting field as well.
On day 2 of the hunt, Mel and I set out to find some elk that he and Martin had got on the first day. Of course, they weren't in the same canyon as the day before, so after a sandwich for lunch, we moved to the next ridge over to do some glassing. Mel was carrying his 375 H&H. While I was on one side scanning Mel was on the other. I eventually came over to see if he had any luck and he had indeed spotted a cow. As we were re-locating the cow, he then spotted the bull. Seeing that he was a legal bull, we quickly ranged him and came up with a shade over 600 yds. We quickly moved down the steep hillside approximately 300 feet or so to see if it would drop into shooting range of the 375 H&H. The hillside was so steep that it only closed the distance to 573 yds. We decided to go ahead and take the bull, as the opportunity for a clear shot would likely be gone very soon. Since I had solid zero's the 7MM WSM got the nod. There was a slight right to left wind coming down the canyon so I placed my 600 yard hash on the scope reticle about 8 inches upwind of the bull's shoulder and slowly squeezed the trigger. The first shot was extremely solid; right through the chest cavity, and although we didn't know it at the time, it would have been all that was needed. The bull moved down the hill and slightly to the left.....maybe 15 yards or so and stood facing away from us. I took a second shot that was another solid hit. He moved up the steep canyon side another 15 yards and piled up near some deadfall. Time: approx 2:30 PM.
The Hornady Interbond performed perfectly. It was fast, flat and consistantly accurate. As I stated before, it would have only taken the first single well placed shot, but we didn't want to risk losing him. So we took the second insurance shot. That first shot hit about 3 inches higher than I intended.....so about 1/2 minute off my intended point of impact. Awesome.
Hauling him out of the canyon was a 4 man team effort that pretty much took the entire next foggy, snowy day.....and about 3 hours of the next day. I have to thank Marc, Mel and Martin for that. Great friends and the best hunting partners anyone could have.
BTW, I rough scored him when I got home and based upon my rudimentary abilities he grossed around 310 or so. With deductions, around 284+.

Attachments

• Elk 1.jpg
    Elk 1.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 286
  • Elk 2.jpg
    Elk 2.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 243
  • Elk 5.jpg
    Elk 5.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 217
  • Elk 3.jpg
    Elk 3.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 238
  • Elk 4.jpg
    Elk 4.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 237
Last edited:
That is awesome I love to see guys do their homework and go apply it into the field. Thanks for sharing

Congrats on the first elk ever!!! I killed my first one this year too. Still can't lose my smile over the hunt. That's an excellent bull by the way too! Nice work.

Congratulations on a great bull. 7mmWSM nice!
I've shoot several elk with the Hornady 154 IB in 7-08 Rem. DRT
It's a great bullet.

SEMPER FIDELIS

Great shooting and a great first bull! To heck with deductions, I always add up what God put on their head and stick with that. 310" is nothing to sneeze at!

Sorry for the extremely slow response.....no bullet recovery, but a nice exit wound about 3/4"+ in diameter. Complete pass through. Second shot took him rather high in the spine so that bullet passed through as well. One of the guys that went with me hunting took some loin home with him and on the first bite of steak, he bit a red polymer bullet tip! LOL!!
I also found a small piece of jacket material in a front shoulder roast when I was processing the meat. That's all we found, but yes, the Interbond did very well.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.