Build My Elk Rifle

Hawk4974,
Great points on reloading vs over the counter ammo. There is no way I'd pay for factory Wby ammo. I reload so I went 340.

For factory dedicated elk gun I'd go .300wsm, .300win,338 win
I spoke with a gunsmith and former elk guide yesterday.

He said, 'the 338 bullet just anchors then better'. Yes he saw many elk taken in smaller calibers.

I firmly believe it's because it puts a bigger hole in them! It goes from discomfort to "What just hit me?!?!?!" gun)

You can easily build a nice long range elk gun for under $2K. I just did it myself. I purchased a new savage 16 7mm WSM for $475. I replaced the tupperware stock with a Boyds lightweight thumbhole stock for $99. Warne scope base and burris signature zee rings for $75. I put a brand new vortex viper HS 4-16X50 that I purchased from the classified on this board for $400. I purchased a set of pillars and a bedding kit for about $27. I am planning to get the stock dipped, which will be right around $100. I scoured the boards and purchased 200 peices of brass for $78 and purchased a box of 168gr bergers for $46. Dies and an 8lb tub of IMR 4831 for $175.
I believe I put together a really nice long range package to include all my reloading supplies for under $1500 which is a half MOA rifle. You can easily put together a really nice long range elk rifle well within your budget.

Only bad part about that equation is that you still only have a factory Salvage rifle... No offense intended, but all guns need a scope, rings, bases, and ammo components. Swapping a stock and putting some pillars in it does not make it a custom rifle. You didn't really build anything.

There are a lot better ways to spend $2K. But that's just my opinion. Take it or leave it.

I ain't no expert. But, hunting at 8-12K ft elevation, you will want as light a rifle as you can shoot accurately and tolerate the recoil... Think 7 to 8 lbs all up. And as weight goes down, recoil goes up. And as the recoil goes up, it becomes harder and harder to consistently place the bullet where you want it to go...

A significant portion of elk killed each year are taken with a a single shot from puny little cartridges like the .270 Win and .30-06. Find a rifle that is comfortable for yo to shoot and then focus on ensuring the bullet goes where it needs to do it's job...

Only bad part about that equation is that you still only have a factory Salvage rifle... No offense intended, but all guns need a scope, rings, bases, and ammo components. Swapping a stock and putting some pillars in it does not make it a custom rifle. You didn't really build anything.

There are a lot better ways to spend $2K. But that's just my opinion. Take it or leave it.

Never claimed it was a full custom, its also under $1500 not $2K. And thats for everything, to include reloading components. It shoots half MOA with my handloads so I don't see how this is a bad equation for someone looking for a long range rifle on the cheap side. A full custom will usually run over twice as much as I have into this one plus the cost of reloading components. I can honestly care less whether its a savage, remington, or a cooper, etc... I am all about accuracy and quality on a budget.

I am in the process of putting together a rifle for this fall in Southern Colorado hunting near the same elevations for Elk. I bought a Savage LRH in 300 win mag from a guy in New Mexico that only used it to shoot 1 mile compititions. He would consistantly group 12" at that distance. It has a plane Picatinny rail mount on it but I'm changing it out for a Xtreme Hardcore Tru Level rail and mounting a Burris Eliminator III on it. Right now the factory stock is being finished using the Camo Hydrographics to look like a super custom stock. Mind you if the previous owner can shoot 12" groups @ a mile with this stock, there is no reason for me to change it. It is not at all a "Tupperware Stock" contrary to popular belief. It is fully free floated from the factory. I will have roughly $2200.00 in this rig when it's done and I don't have to buy a high end range finder to boot.
I just read two articles in the new American Rifleman Magazine where they reviewed 2 new rifles. Both in 30-06 cal. One a Kimber Mountain Ascent and the other a Weatherby Vanguard Series 2 Back country. The Kimber was getting a rave review and at a price of $2040.00 MSPP w/o any sights. I expected tight groups and such with this one but in reality it averaged 1.93"!!! WHAT?? For that kind of money I would expect sub MOA or better out of the box. The Weatherby at a price of $1399.00 MSRP performed at 1.96" average and they still thought it performed flawlessly. I find it baffling for manufacturers to ask that much $$ and not be able to at least shoot MOA. I'll post some pics once I get my rig together.

I am in the process of putting together a rifle for this fall in Southern Colorado hunting near the same elevations for Elk. I bought a Savage LRH in 300 win mag from a guy in New Mexico that only used it to shoot 1 mile compititions. He would consistantly group 12" at that distance. It has a plane Picatinny rail mount on it but I'm changing it out for a Xtreme Hardcore Tru Level rail and mounting a Burris Eliminator III on it. Right now the factory stock is being finished using the Camo Hydrographics to look like a super custom stock. Mind you if the previous owner can shoot 12" groups @ a mile with this stock, there is no reason for me to change it. It is not at all a "Tupperware Stock" contrary to popular belief. It is fully free floated from the factory. I will have roughly $2200.00 in this rig when it's done and I don't have to buy a high end range finder to boot.
I just read two articles in the new American Rifleman Magazine where they reviewed 2 new rifles. Both in 30-06 cal. One a Kimber Mountain Ascent and the other a Weatherby Vanguard Series 2 Back country. The Kimber was getting a rave review and at a price of $2040.00 MSPP w/o any sights. I expected tight groups and such with this one but in reality it averaged 1.93"!!! WHAT?? For that kind of money I would expect sub MOA or better out of the box. The Weatherby at a price of $1399.00 MSRP performed at 1.96" average and they still thought it performed flawlessly. I find it baffling for manufacturers to ask that much $$ and not be able to at least shoot MOA. I'll post some pics once I get my rig together.

This was exactally my point. Some people get so hung up on having to have a multi thousand dollar rifle when just as good of accuracy can be achieved for half the cost. The LRH model you have does in fact have a better stock than the model 16 I purchased, it does not surprise me at all that it works fine. I will never bad mouth those super high end customs, they are in fact beautiful peices of art but, I would much rather spend the extra money to actually go hunting with.

Romad, I build custom AR rifles gun) and would be embarrased if one of mine didn't shoot at least MOA. I have built quite a few for friends and such and mine start at around $1400.00 depending on how available the quality parts are. And they even come with sights!:D

Never claimed it was a full custom, its also under $1500 not $2K. And thats for everything, to include reloading components. It shoots half MOA with my handloads so I don't see how this is a bad equation for someone looking for a long range rifle on the cheap side. A full custom will usually run over twice as much as I have into this one plus the cost of reloading components. I can honestly care less whether its a savage, remington, or a cooper, etc... I am all about accuracy and quality on a budget.

It was just my opinion. You won't understand the beauty of a custom until you build one for yourself where the fit, feel, and balance is perfectly tailored to you. You have a seater die made from the exact same reamer that made your chamber. and the thing shoots nearly every load you run through it with accuracy that far surpasses the needs of hunting.

But besides custom rifles, there are a lot of other fine factory rifles that would have fallen within your $2K budget. Rifles that would hold their value much better than Savage. But I am very happy that you are satisfied with yoour choice.
I only voiced my opinion because this thread was titled; "Build my Elk Rifle".
Not; "Look at the Rifle I Decided to Buy for Elk"
Which by using the world "build" in the original thread title, it also implies putting together a custom rifle. Not buying a factory made rig and modifying it slightly

I am in the process of putting together a rifle for this fall in Southern Colorado hunting near the same elevations for Elk. I bought a Savage LRH in 300 win mag from a guy in New Mexico that only used it to shoot 1 mile compititions. He would consistantly group 12" at that distance. It has a plane Picatinny rail mount on it but I'm changing it out for a Xtreme Hardcore Tru Level rail and mounting a Burris Eliminator III on it. Right now the factory stock is being finished using the Camo Hydrographics to look like a super custom stock. Mind you if the previous owner can shoot 12" groups @ a mile with this stock, there is no reason for me to change it. It is not at all a "Tupperware Stock" contrary to popular belief. It is fully free floated from the factory.....

..... Ohhh lord.....

Spent 10 minutes typing in the wrong thread. Gettin old sucks but it sure beats the alternative.

Hell, I would buy a Savage long range hunter in the caliber you are most comfortable with, get some good quality ammo and most important...........practice.

Surprised no one has mentioned the Tikka T-3 Lite. I would suggest you check them out. VERY accurate out of the box. VERY light weight. VERY good bang for the buck. A 300WM, 30-06, 7mm RM, or 300WSM at around $700 with a Zeiss Conquest 4x14x50 w/ Rapid Z 800 at $600 in the forums and you're under budget and GTG. Out to 600 yds. an "EargessplittenLoudenBoomer" is unwarranted and ANY of the aforementioned calibers will do the job.

Good luck w/ whatever you decide. btw....I took a Tikka T3 Lite and a Zeiss Conquest to Africa and the PH was begging me to give it him for a tip. I gave him $1600 and kept the rifle. Sub moa out of the box and comes in at 7 pounds w/ scope and sling.

Ok, so I'll start off with a little background. I'm currently a college student in Michigan. I'll be graduating and moving to Colorado in May. I have a job lined up in central Colorado around game management units 49, 500, 501, 37 and 50. I have spent a couple summers out there and know the area fairly well. I know I'll have the opportunity to hunt at elevations from 8-12 thousand feet. Shots will be anywhere in the range of 5- My personal limit of 600yds.

Now my questions: I will be building a rifle this summer for my future endeavors. Which caliber? Action? Barrel? Stock? Optics? What overall weight do you think I should shoot for? Very open to opinions and tips based on experience. Thanks for the input.

Nice to see this thread has brought so many opinions forth. I have now been in central CO for a couple weeks. Internet is spotty up here in the mountains so it's nice being able to get back on and see whats up. I appreciate everyone voicing their opinions and I'm still trying to decide what I want to put together. Not sure if i'll go the Sendero route or do something semi-custom. For those saying Savage rifles, I don't blame ya, I've had a few. They shot sub MOA and are so easy to swap parts in but there is something about the floating bolt head that still bothers me deep down. They're not as smooth or as solid feeling as a remington, weatherby etc. But I'm still on the hunt for something, not sure what, but I think I'll know when I see it.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.