Build me a rifle

fatjake

I am going to have a rifle put together at my local gunsmith. The guys are good and know what they are doing.

Here is my predicament, basically I'm "Ballin on a budget" so to speak lol

I have already gathered some supplys, I have a 700 LA, a bell and Carlson Alaskan 2 stock. So I just need to get a barrel and have them true everything up on the action.

Im going for a sporter type rifle that is fairly light weight.
My big problem is caliber, this will be a hunting rifle and im really leaning on the 6.5x284.
It will be deer sized game(hoping to shoot a muley with it)

I already have a Legendary arms works "professioinal" in 300win mag so I am thinking something in the 6.5mm range

What cartridge would you guys recommend and what's the best value in a barrel?
I had them use a shilen on my last build (700 in 223rem) and I am very pleased with it in for the price.

Thanks in advance guys

Jake

I am going to have a rifle put together at my local gunsmith. The guys are good and know what they are doing.

Here is my predicament, basically I'm "Ballin on a budget" so to speak lol

I have already gathered some supplys, I have a 700 LA, a bell and Carlson Alaskan 2 stock. So I just need to get a barrel and have them true everything up on the action.

Im going for a sporter type rifle that is fairly light weight.
My big problem is caliber, this will be a hunting rifle and im really leaning on the 6.5x284.
It will be deer sized game(hoping to shoot a muley with it)

I already have a Legendary arms works "professioinal" in 300win mag so I am thinking something in the 6.5mm range

What cartridge would you guys recommend and what's the best value in a barrel?
I had them use a shilen on my last build (700 in 223rem) and I am very pleased with it in for the price.

Thanks in advance guys

Jake
Just send the action to Chris at Benchmark and have him put about a #3wt 26-28" barrel on it and true the action. I'd go with the .260 Rem myself but there's nothing wrong at all with the 6.5-284.

Last I checked he'll do the whole thing for around 800.00.

If were you I would barrel it with a #3 or #4 contour Rock Creek barrel in 6.5 and chamber it in .264 win mag, If you have a magnum bolt face. If not I would go with a 6.5-06. Yes they are a little hard on barrels, but you would get great performance. You didn't say if you reloaded or not. 260 rem is always a good choice also.

I reload yes
I have a standard bolt face at the moment

Has anyone used Wilson barrels
I found one for $220 contoured and fluted
Is that a decent price

You may want to check out the 6.5Sherman, it is a 270 based cartridge with about 11% more powder capacity than the 6.5-06. It has as much performance as you can stuff into a standard bolt face action. It will outperform a 6.5-284 by a ton.

Search for Elkaholic or 6.5 Sherman.

You may want to check out the 6.5Sherman, it is a 270 based cartridge with about 11% more powder capacity than the 6.5-06. It has as much performance as you can stuff into a standard bolt face action. It will outperform a 6.5-284 by a ton.

Search for Elkaholic or 6.5 Sherman.

Yep, 6.5 Sherman or .280 Sherman gets my vote. Both use .270/.280 brass.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.