Bug out bag

Those who are hungry, thirsty, cold, dying. Just some examples. Anyone who knows you have something they need to live.
Exactly, they need to live !
The only people who would target me are people with a death wish.

Last edited:
Has anyone here thought about surviving without outside assistance for a few months or more. Are you able to do that ?

If not you are of no use to yourself or anyone else.

Last edited:
This little filter is one of the most useful things I ever bought, I have all the drinking water I ever need. I feed it rainwater in the summer and melted snow in winter. It has saved me a small fortune.

IMG_6008.JPG

IMG_5082.JPG

This is also a very useful thing, I keep it shut and locked at all times. I have not had an uninvited visitor since I put the spikes on it five years ago. Should they cut the fence or get over the gate they will have to deal with Alice.:D

People stay well away from me, and that makes me happy.

DEp8QtE.jpg

Last edited:
This little filter is one of the most useful things I ever bought, I have all the drinking water I ever need. I feed it rainwater in the summer and melted snow in winter. It has saved me a small fortune.

View attachment 551282
View attachment 551289

This is also a very useful thing, I keep it shut and locked at all times. I have not had an uninvited visitor since I put the spikes on it five years ago. Should they cut the fence or get over the gate they will have to deal with Alice.:D

People stay well away from me, and that makes me happy.

View attachment 551285
those birds look sus though

I think you will find one of your bigger issues will be managing expiration dates.
Yes it's a pain, that's why I leave it up to the old woman.

I think the biggest issue of all would be long term gas and electricity outages, loss of either and the furnace will be useless. I have kerosene heaters to stop the pipes freezing, but I would have to drain the plumbing eventually.

This the temperature right now, it can get much colder.

IMG_6010.JPG

I may be naive , I know I can't take everything . Hope for the chance to come back for more if there is anymore ? My best idea would be stay and go down with the ship . Possibly a pack for each person with a different gun in each ? Say a 22lr and an AR223 . Couple hundred rounds of each ? I understand the basics like fire starter , rope , knives , first aid kit .
I'll be honest with you, I'm not a prepper and I don't even have a BOB. I'd throw a bunch of crap in my camper and get out of Dodge if need be. That being said the topic interests me from time to time.

Do you have a family? If so, I'd say yes on multiple bags and you can share the load of different item much like if you were on a backpacking trip with a group. How much weight could each family member realistically carry?

What type of backpack(s)? This is a big one right here…

I think the basics you have listed need to be pondered over with deeper thought. Let's take the knife for instance. What kind of knife? Should you have more than one knife? Should one of the knives be a multi-tool? Can you sharpen these knives? Guess you'll need a sharpener too. What kind of fire starter(s)?

Layers of clothing? Rain gear? Puffies?

How about batteries? What will you bring that will require them?

How will you carry all that ammo? Is it pre loaded into magazines in holsters on a molle type vest, or just in a pile at the bottom of a back pack? Do you have a functional pistol holster that can be worn with a backpack? Do you have a concealed weapon?

Water bladder, bottles, all the above?

I would only bring NATO chambered rifles and pistols with me and leave the fancy wildcat cannon at home. Maybe bring a .22LR for hunting small game. Do these firearm have back up irons? Mine do.

Food? MREs, freeze dried, cans of smoked oysters?

Your main concern should be where the H E double hockey sticks are you going to bug out to? If you are in the city I could see wanting to get out, but where? If you live in the country you should have some essentials on you when you leave home to get back home. Then depending on the scenario it is protecting what you have at your chosen location. Thinking worst case scenarios and than working backwards will help you decide what you are doing. Make a plan and than you can decide what you need. Most don't realize how bad it could be and they think they will be banding with friends and thinking positive. If things go south people will turn and it will be a dog eat dog world. I have many people that think they will be coming to me for help because Of my background. That's what they think but in reality it will be me taking care of my immediate family by any means necessary.
So start working your way from your endgame scenarios to where you are and that will help you decide what's important to pack in your bag.
Excellent point.

Knowledge.

There is no one kit and to have everything means you're not mobile. Simple as that. Closer to the city, the worst this will be.

If it's martial law, you won't make it far carrying a rifle.

If it's the walking dead you might not get far with just a pistol.

If you're old and feeble, requiring a ebike, then having something on your back just prolly ain't gunna work for you.

if you're kit is at home but the disaster happens else where, then it's useless. If you carry a bag in your vehicle then it's a get home bag.

The reality is, much of it ain't going to work the way you think it will. Most people would benefit from just staying home. Even if there was a good reason to leave…you'll be competing against everything swinging pecker and floppy Jo in your AO for resources and road usage, all just to be funneled by the same government most of you dislike. To clarify, say a ICBM is on its way to you…you're not outrunning it more than likely…at least through conventional means.

So, to reiterate, these bags and what not require knowledge and proper planning to build even a half realistic contingency against real problems.

Let's take a more realistic approach. Maybe others here have real world experience. Hurricane Katrina…your house is flooding….what bag would you have, that would actually help your problem in this developing natural disaster? Do you or even can you leave or stay? Where do you go? How do you get there? How do you stay hydrated? Do you have kids? Are they idiots that will get you killed?
Pretty much it. In So Cal earthquake preparedness is close to bugout bag. If you going to do a BOB you need somewhere to go and holdup at. Otherwise making your house the sronghold and having a cohesive group is probably a better option.

People have trouble getting rid of these things, they can be had for a pittance, the likes of Craigslist are normally full of them. The man that sold it was asking $15 with a spare wick and a 2 gallon can of kerosene and a kettle. I gave him $20 ☺️

Apart from basic supplies which you would need in any case , there is no need to spend a lot of money, Being prepared just takes a little thought.. It's insurance .

IMG_5118.JPG