Bug Centipede Infestation - Georgia

Coyote Shadow Tracker

LRH Sponsor
For the past three weeks we have had a full blowen infestation of these Centipedes here in GA. Every time it rains thousands - no tens of thousands come out of the ground and attack everything. They are all about 1" in length. I spray the perimeter of our house, but they continue to come. You can actually see the ground moving. We get them every year, but this is the worst. Kind of like the Locust Plague.
Now we have a custom built house. The frame has plywood then Tyvek, Then Hardi Plank that is Caulked. Then on the inside we have insulation and sheet rock. Can't see any cracks and yet we get dozens every hour in all rooms and the basement shop is the worst. i can go around my outside foundation and see thousands of dead ones from the bug barrier that I sprayed and like I said after the rain there are hundreds on the outside walls up to the roof. Once the sun comes out they fall off.

Attachments

• GA Bugs 2.jpg
    GA Bugs 2.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 64
  • GA Bugs.jpg
    GA Bugs.jpg
    111.6 KB · Views: 59
For the past three weeks we have had a full blowen infestation of these Centipedes here in GA. Every time it rains thousands - no tens of thousands come out of the ground and attack everything. They are all about 1" in length. I spray the perimeter of our house, but they continue to come. You can actually see the ground moving. We get them every year, but this is the worst. Kind of like the Locust Plague.
Now we have a custom built house. The frame has plywood then Tyvek, Then Hardi Plank that is Caulked. Then on the inside we have insulation and sheet rock. Can't see any cracks and yet we get dozens every hour in all rooms and the basement shop is the worst. i can go around my outside foundation and see thousands of dead ones from the bug barrier that I sprayed and like I said after the rain there are hundreds on the outside walls up to the roof. Once the sun comes out they fall off.
They were pretty bad this year. I haven't really noticed them in the past. I hope this is not a sign of what's to come.

Last edited:
It's the Love bugs for us ! They are horrible, nothing eats them and they stick to the front of your car. If you don't wash them off, they will dissolve the paint. We see an occasional centipede, but nothing like you are experiencing.
They don't have the number "53" on them do they? I have never seen a love bug outside of the movie. Must live too far north.

They don't have the number "53" on them do they? I have never seen a love bug outside of the movie. Must live too far north.
No #53, they are a little larger than a mosquito, black with an orange head. They "couple" and fly around "hooked up". Millions of them when they swarm. Driving anywhere, they smash into the front of your vehicle and windshield. Nothing eats them. Their only natural predator is your truck or car. They get so thick sometimes, the edge of the highway is black from their dead bodies. They usually swarm twice a year, once around April or May then again around September.

Went out last night and there were thousands on all sides of our house. The ground was covered into the woods and the trees. I sprayed over three gallons 5' up the walls and 5' away from the house. went out this morning and there are thousands dead. I have to get something to put on the lawn to kill them in the ground. Seems like when it rains and then night they come out.

Start collecting them. The Democrats are promoting eating insects instead of red meat so that is the perfect answer to your dilemma. Put them in a container with some hot sauce and send to a local Dem. He'll love ya.
Mike

Somebody needs a chicken army.
View attachment 463987
Honestly, guinea hens are death on anything that moves (up to and including small snakes). They form a line and methodically work through whatever area they're eating.

Downside/disclaimer, they cackle loudly, frequently... The part that REALLY annoys people is their "buck-WHEAT" call that they will do for hours on end.

I grew up with them so they're a little endearing to me. I even forgot back in the day that they were calling at times.

Just a thought, but I'd be shocked if they didn't chow down on your bugs.

Well I hate to be the one to break the news to you, "Trumps Fault"

Bugs, bugs, everywhere! The Southeast is a wonderful place to live except for bugs. I went on attack today with my Stihl blower sprayer and Bifenthrin. I went through 6 gallons before calling it quits. Biting flies were my main target, but anything that wants to inflict pain or itching is on my list.