Browning X Bolt LR in 6.5PRC

I have a 6.5 PRC HCLR - i shoot animals and steel with it. It is a great rifle. I've shot steel out to 1000 yrds with it, but also do that with my 6.5 creedmoor. Longest hunting shot was cow elk at 495 with 143eldx.

As for the trigger. No complaints here. I did get a new trigger spring and it has zero creep, breaks cleanly, and is the pull weight i like. It is adjustable as well.

I shoot brownings and tikka. If you want something for future upgrades i like the tikka for that. But if you stick with the caliber from factory the browning is a great choice as well.

Really Great Stuff, Guys. I thank you all. I think when I consider the best option is the Barbour Creek LR Rifle for $6,000.00 or the Browning for 1/2 that price, or less. Just want a reliable and accurate rifle for L R Fun shooting. and the man cave is just incredible!!

I'd suggest a Bergara B-14 in one of the PRCs and call it a day. Put the remaining money into glass.

This 6.5 CM donor rifle was $175 special and there is about another $800 in it w/scope. It's under .5 MOA shooter. You don't need to spend a lot to have fun w/1K shooting. The original stock was the factory *** one and it shot the same.

C9003996-A7B5-4A3B-9C11-BD5872711753.jpeg

I've replaced some of my Browning X-bolt triggers with Timney. Factory trigger isn't horrible, but just heavy enough to be distracting. Timney can be found for $160. Install is pretty straightforward but may require slight relieving of the stock where the safety bar runs.

You do lose the locked bolt feature (three position safety) of the stock safety.

The only downside of Browning is that they aren't quite as "plug and play" when it comes to replacing barrel replacement as some other rifles out there.

Hope that helps.

A couple of thoughts. I have a 6.5 PRC in Browning X-Bolt white gold medallion topped with a Leo VX6 HD 3-18 X 50 & custom turrets, tax title and license about 4K. I put an M-Carbo sear trigger spring in it because the trigger sucked (as I knew it would) and the after-market triggers were not made for the Browning yet. The modified trigger is great. Fast forward two weeks later and Timney comes out with after market triggers for browning rifles (dang it), I suggest going that route. I don't think you need the muzzle brake as the six five just doesn't kick that much, but the brake is LOUD. Also, you probably don't need the 26 BBL unless you just want a big one. My off the shelf X-Bolt rifle using factory ammo shoots the 142 gr Nosler ABLR into about a 7mm five shot bug hole as small as my spendy custom 6.8 Western does...which is LOUD and does kick:)!

I like the 3 position safety on the browning trigger, but i dont find it any more useful than the tikka safety that locks the bolt as well...
my browning xbolts (yes i gave 2) also shoot nice 3/4" groups.

The only downside of Browning is that they aren't quite as "plug and play" when it comes to replacing barrel replacement as some other rifles out there.

Hope that helps.
One of my rifle builders said the same thing - the barrel is pinned or something like that. But out of the box, they are accurate.

One of my rifle builders said the same thing - the barrel is pinned or something like that. But out of the box, they are accurate.
Haven't heard of any being pinned, but there are reports of some with threadlocker/adhesive. And other reports of barrels coming off fine.

It's just a bit of a wildcard.

I worked up a load for my buddy's Hell's Canyon in 6.5 PRC and we were limited by magazine length, unable to load bullets close to lands. Subsequently I bought a Tikka T3 in 6.5 PRC and have plenty of length in the magazine.

Since you are not hunting with this rifle, I'd seriously consider the 6.5 Creedmoor, which will easily get you to 1200 yds, with less cost, less recoil, more barrel life, which will allow you to practice more and become proficient. I took the 308 to 1400yds years ago and it wasn't a big handicap. So the 6.5 Creedmoor will do very well. Plus the new bimetal cases allow handloaders to push high velocities to magnum levels...not recommended but I am running a 6.5 Creedmoor with 150 gr MK over 3000 fps 140 grs over 3100 fps, with reformed bimetal 6.8x51 hybrid cases. New developments on the horizon if manufacturers step up. In 1879 at Sandy Hook, the US army field trials shot the 45-70 500 gr out to 2500 yds then 3200 yds. Hitting a 6' bullseye with open sights, no rear rests, and 7 lb trigger pulls. Long range is nothing new, men accomplished it, even before smokless powder. So today with super modern equipment, electronics, computer input, and practice anyone can accomplish similar feats.

You Know the main reason I was not considering the 6.5 Creed was that I considered it to be an Excellent Target Round to 1000 yards, but so many LR Shooting Schools are extending ranges to 1200 -1500 yards and even beyond. I think very soon the ONE MILE Range (1700 Yards ) will become what 1000 Yards used to be. I "thought" the 6.5 creed could use a bit more Horsepower, to able to hit targets at those ranges , reliably. I also thought as the bullet slowed at extended ranges, it would be less able to deal with wind, and become less predictable. Those were my thoughts in the selection of the 6.5 PRC. in a rifle that had a 26 inch barrel with a fast twist. I just viewed the 6.5 PRC as a 6.5 Creed that went to Gym for a year to build more muscle. No science here, just personal thoughts. I really appreciate your insight!!! Thank You 44-40 !!

Since you are not hunting with this rifle, I'd seriously consider the 6.5 Creedmoor, which will easily get you to 1200 yds, with less cost, less recoil, more barrel life, which will allow you to practice more and become proficient. I took the 308 to 1400yds years ago and it wasn't a big handicap. So the 6.5 Creedmoor will do very well. Plus the new bimetal cases allow handloaders to push high velocities to magnum levels...not recommended but I am running a 6.5 Creedmoor with 150 gr MK over 3000 fps 140 grs over 3100 fps, with reformed bimetal 6.8x51 hybrid cases. New developments on the horizon if manufacturers step up. In 1879 at Sandy Hook, the US army field trials shot the 45-70 500 gr out to 2500 yds then 3200 yds. Hitting a 6' bullseye with open sights, no rear rests, and 7 lb trigger pulls. Long range is nothing new, men accomplished it, even before smokless powder. So today with super modern equipment, electronics, computer input, and practice anyone can accomplish similar feats.
I would love to know how often they hit that 6" bullseye and what the wind was doing. I just took at a shot at my 900 yard gong. Kestrel said 1-2 mph. Mirage was very slight at 7:30 am left to right. Shot my Edge (300 Berger at 2880). Held 1.1 MOA for wind/spin. Can't imagine what the drift would be for a 500 grain bullet out of a black powder .45-70. Of course, nearly all target shooters get sighters. Hunters don't.

I've got a Hells Canyon Long Range in 6.5CM, and it's been such a great rifle for both target shooting and hunting. I will echo that the trigger was very disappointing on mine. Just couldn't get past it, and made me second guess buying the rifle altogether. I ended up luckily finding a Timney on sale and it has been great, really transformed the rifle. Super easy to drop in. It does mess with the safety a bit, not only do you lose the bolt locking functionality, but I had to do a minor amount of sanding work to get smooth operation. But since the trigger change the rifle has been great, and I'm very happy with it. I regularly shoot out to 700 yards at my range with very repeatable accuracy and I've taken lots of hogs with it, every one of em dropped where they stood, except one that went about 10 yards.

I think you will be happy regardless of which chambering you get. Lots of negative reviews out there on x-bolts but I prefer to reach my own conclusions. I bought a 280AI HC Max LR in April and it is a tack driver with everything from 90 Hammer Hunters to 195 Berger EOLs. and fast becoming my favorite. I installed the MCarbo sear spring and the trigger is more than acceptable at 1 pound, 10 ounces. Big improvement from 4 pounds. As for magazine length, the long action will accommodate COAL up to 3.58". Distance to lands in my rifle is 3.54".