Browning X Bolt LR in 6.5PRC

Lenny Foffa

I am looking to purchase my first LR TARGET rifle. It will not be used for hunting. I am considering the Browning X Bolt LR model with the 26 inch med Heavy Barrel, Muzz Break, and the Mc Millian Adjustable stock . I think this rifle, chambered in 6.5 PRC would be a good place to start . Since it will have a mag bolt face , If I ever want to change to 300 PRC, it should only involve a re barreling. Am I off base here?? Any advice , pro or con, is greatly appreciated.

Thank you both!! Excellent points!! I have to check the action length. I would prefer a Long Action, with a Mag Bolt face to allow for possible caliber change in the future. I would like to take the new target rifle, and also my Weatherby Ultralight Deer rifle, in 270 Win. to Barbour Creek School next year!! Just for the fun of shooting targets beyond 300 Yards.

I have been looking at a 2-day long range class in Minden Nevada and they want you to bring 100 rounds. The X-bolt LR barrel is a heavy sporter contour; nice and stout and would be perfect. I'm not familiar with Weatherby Ultralight Deer rifle but I have Weatherby Backcountry 2.0 ti and the super thin barrel heats up very quickly. I'd still like to try both rifles at longer ranges. The classes at Barbour Creek School look like a great option.

The browning trigger is crap IMO, but there are spring kits that will help or you can take the spring out and cut half a coil at a time until you get it where you want it. But its a pain to get out and back in. Not many gunsmith will work on them. The gun is great though.

Thanks Coop!! I had no idea about the trigger. I just put a new Timney Trigger in my Interarms 30- 06, which is on a Commercial 98 action. When your trigger arrives in a box, there is also a Tootsie Roll Pop. The note than comes with it says , "You can put the new trigger in the rifle faster than you can finish the Tootsie Roll Pop." Dave the Ultralight Rifle is Mark V Weatherby, on a 6 lug 240 Weatherby Mag Action. came with a 24 inch s/s Krieger Barrel, Its 5 and 3/4 pounds empty . Mine is about 12 years old . Not made any longer. Its my favorite deer rifle, chambered in 270 Win. Leupold VX 3 scopes on it have been the 2.5 to 8X for years, then a 4.5X to 14 X for a Kentucky hunt and then , this past weekend, a New Leupold VX 5 3 X to 15 X . The Hydro Dipped Snow Camo stock for no good reason, was just because I can't leave stuff alone, and just had Weatherby install a s/s Muzzle break. It really works, came back a few weeks ago.

Attachments

• IMG_2569.JPG
    IMG_2569.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 64
  • IMG_2721 (1) Weatherby Ultralight with New leupold 4.5 to 14 mm  scope.JPG
    IMG_2721 (1) Weatherby Ultralight with New leupold 4.5 to 14 mm scope.JPG
    986.5 KB · Views: 61
The rifle and the ram are excellent, as is your shooting!!! Thanks for sharing this !! Is your rifle chambered in 6.5 PRC?? Have you used it for 1000 yard to 1200 yard target shooting?? It is obvious it works very well in a hunting application. Do you like it as well for LR Target shooting?? Thanks again Triple O2

The rifle and the ram are excellent, as is your shooting!!! Thanks for sharing this !! Is your rifle chambered in 6.5 PRC?? Have you used it for 1000 yard to 1200 yard target shooting?? It is obvious it works very well in a hunting application. Do you like it as well for LR Target shooting?? Thanks again Triple O2

Yes, it's a 26" Browning Hells Canyon in 6.5 PRC. The 300 PRC and 6.5 PRC are shot out of different size actions.

I have set the Browning up specifically for hunting. The farthest I've shot this is 600 yards, on 6" steel, to test the REVIC scope with my load. I have no doubt it could be set up to shoot targets at longer ranges, but I would change the load and put in a new trigger. The trigger is fine for hunting, but it wouldn't be my choice for a target rifle. This rifle is heavy and not fun to hump around.

I get board and play with rifles and rounds for specific hunts. I am also a tech junkie and like to play with the ranging optics.
Out of the PRCs I prefer the 300 and I prefer the Bergara rifles out of the box. My hunting preferences are stalking and my rests are never stable enough for me to feel comfortable shooting at game over 600 yards.

If I had to sell everything I own and pick one rifle, it would be the one below. It's a hammer for every nail.

00F0D3FE-FEAF-4866-836D-3DCD6A38555F.jpeg

I am looking to purchase my first LR TARGET rifle. It will not be used for hunting. I am considering the Browning X Bolt LR model with the 26 inch med Heavy Barrel, Muzz Break, and the Mc Millian Adjustable stock . I think this rifle, chambered in 6.5 PRC would be a good place to start . Since it will have a mag bolt face , If I ever want to change to 300 PRC, it should only involve a re barreling. Am I off base here?? Any advice , pro or con, is greatly appreciated.
if you are looking,look at a bighorn mag action with a proof carbon fiber barrel shoulder fit trigger of your choice and stock of your choice then all you need is other proof barrels in 300PRC or 300 win mag or 7mmPRC or get all of them and you can change any right at the range quickly.

Really Great Stuff, Guys. I thank you all. I think when I consider the best option is the Barbour Creek LR Rifle for $6,000.00 or the Browning for 1/2 that price, or less. Just want a reliable and accurate rifle for L R Fun shooting. and the man cave is just incredible!!