Browning X-Bolt issue????

I also really appreciate your posting. I like the Timney I put in, but would have preferred to fix as you did.

I was one click away from ordering the Timney trigger as it was on-sale for $148. But it was driving me crazy not knowing what the issue was lol. I upgraded the spring on both x-bolts. Much better than stock. I'm sure not as nice as Timney though.

A lot of people will over adjust the X-Bolt trigger adjustment screw and it will cause the gun to not sear up. 99% of the time its the issue. That's why red paint is put on the screw to see if it was tampered with from factory configuration.

I have two xbolts; max long range and speed. Just got the speed end of 2021 and it had same trigger issue.
I was able to fix it, but only recommend attempting if you are very familiar with triggers or get gun smith to fix.

The trigger sear isn't moving into place to engage in the main sear. The xbolt trigger sear can be moved by the trigger, trigger sear spring, or the safety. With the issue outlined, the trigger sear spring is not pushing the trigger sear back into place for a trigger reset.

To diagnose the issue, I punched the trigger and trigger sear pins out to remove both the trigger and trigger sear. With the trigger sear and it's pin removed from frame, I put the pin into the trigger sear. The fit is so tight, the trigger sear cannot Pivot on the pin. I imagine this problem is even worse when temperatures are cold. I took some very fine files and worked the trigger sear hole until it moved freely on the pin. This only took a few minutes. You don't want a sloppy fit. Once I was able to move pin freely in the trigger sear, I put trigger back together. The spring now has enough force to push trigger sear for a proper trigger reset.

You can order new pin and trigger sear for less than $20 of you don't want to modify the current. But it is the trigger sear hole and/or pin that's the issue.
I had the same issue removed the pin and used a small cleaning patch and cleaned out sear pin hole used basic gun cleaner came output black the first couple times and used very fine file to clean up pin oiled pin with quality oil (not tempature sensitive I placed back in service and tested out fine

My X bolt would adjust down to a little over 4 pounds and that's it. Mcarbo sells a replacement sear spring for the X bolts that brought it down to 2 pounds 12 ounces. I'm sure it's no Timney but it was $20 delivered to my house. Some people are getting just under 2 pounds with it.

My X bolt would adjust down to a little over 4 pounds and that's it. Mcarbo sells a replacement sear spring for the X bolts that brought it down to 2 pounds 12 ounces. I'm sure it's no Timney but it was $20 delivered to my house. Some people are getting just under 2 pounds with it.
I did the same, except I couldn't get my factory trigger below 5 pounds. Also, I felt as though the mim components felt very cheap and fragile.

Last edited:
Jard has a trigger in works that will retain the factory bolt lock mechanism. They didn't give me a time frame for release other than soon. In today's times, that could be a week, a month or a year.

I have used Mcarbo and Yodave replacement springs, but some of the Kiwis turned me onto the HVHA. So far, 4 rifles and I was able to get a 2lb - 2 1/4lb trigger. It takes about 2 weeks to arrive depending on how long it sits in customs, last batch was about 10 - 12 days.

HVHA X-Bolt trigger spring

Patiently waiting for the Jard to be released