Browning X-Bolt issue????

mobenzowner

Good morning all.
I have a few Browning X-bolts that have been very good rifles. Recently picked one up last November in 6cm from here on the forum. This gun was new, never fired, so this is not about a forum member as I doubt he had even cycled it. Now to the problem, It was not smooth and would cycle at first. Took action screws out and slightly shortened the rear screw a tad. Problem solved, thought I was good. I actually shot the rifle 4 or 5 times and accuracy was very good. Well I pulled the gun out last weekend and the gun does not cycle correctly. When cycling the bolt with the safety off, it losses it's cock. To get it to stay cocked, you have to life the bolt, put the gun on safe, and then finish closing the bolt. I happen to have a Hells Canyon also in 6cm, so I swapped bolts, and the bolt from the HC loses cock also in this rifle. Thus, I have determined the issue is not with the bolt itself. The trigger on the problem rifle has been horrible from day one, so I'm thinking maybe changing out to a Timney trigger may solve the cocking issue as maybe the sear isnt engaging correctly. Any thoughts?

Sounds like a trigger issue. The timney should fix it, but you'll lose the ability to lock the bolt, if that matters to you. You could send it back to Browning, or take it you your local Smith and see if he can figure it out.

I have some timney's in a coupe Remmy's. How hard was the change out? Sure hope it fixes the problem with the gun as well.

Good to know. Thanks a bunch. I may put the Timney in the Hells Canyon, and the trigger from the HC into the regular composite stalker that doesn.t work correctly. I really like the Hells Canyon.

Well the new Timney trigger fixed the issue with this rifle. Like I said earlier, 3 of my xbolt triggers were pretty good. The one on this composite stalker was horrid. Anxious to try it out again. The trigger switch was 10 minutes or less.

Good morning all.
I have a few Browning X-bolts that have been very good rifles. Recently picked one up last November in 6cm from here on the forum. This gun was new, never fired, so this is not about a forum member as I doubt he had even cycled it. Now to the problem, It was not smooth and would cycle at first. Took action screws out and slightly shortened the rear screw a tad. Problem solved, thought I was good. I actually shot the rifle 4 or 5 times and accuracy was very good. Well I pulled the gun out last weekend and the gun does not cycle correctly. When cycling the bolt with the safety off, it losses it's cock. To get it to stay cocked, you have to life the bolt, put the gun on safe, and then finish closing the bolt. I happen to have a Hells Canyon also in 6cm, so I swapped bolts, and the bolt from the HC loses cock also in this rifle. Thus, I have determined the issue is not with the bolt itself. The trigger on the problem rifle has been horrible from day one, so I'm thinking maybe changing out to a Timney trigger may solve the cocking issue as maybe the sear isnt engaging correctly. Any thoughts?
I purchased my xbolt hells canyon September 2020 and after trying to adjust the trigger pull, my rifle had the same issue. I had to go through a whole process just to be able to fire it.
The quick solution was to buy a new trigger but i still want to contact Browning for a new trigger.

I was wondering if you ended up contacting Browning about this and how did you handle the process?

Thanks

Timney is the Cure...…………...
Yep that's what I bought. A huge improvement over the stock trigger, however you just lose the ability to lock the bolt. Which isn't a real problem but some people may want that feature.
I've contacted Timney and they added it to their request list, and perhaps a new version of the trigger in the near future may have the ability to lock the bolt.

I purchased my xbolt hells canyon September 2020 and after trying to adjust the trigger pull, my rifle had the same issue. I had to go through a whole process just to be able to fire it.
The quick solution was to buy a new trigger but i still want to contact Browning for a new trigger.

I was wondering if you ended up contacting Browning about this and how did you handle the process?

Thanks
I did what others on here suggested and just slid in a timney..

I have two xbolts; max long range and speed. Just got the speed end of 2021 and it had same trigger issue.
I was able to fix it, but only recommend attempting if you are very familiar with triggers or get gun smith to fix.

The trigger sear isn't moving into place to engage in the main sear. The xbolt trigger sear can be moved by the trigger, trigger sear spring, or the safety. With the issue outlined, the trigger sear spring is not pushing the trigger sear back into place for a trigger reset.

To diagnose the issue, I punched the trigger and trigger sear pins out to remove both the trigger and trigger sear. With the trigger sear and it's pin removed from frame, I put the pin into the trigger sear. The fit is so tight, the trigger sear cannot Pivot on the pin. I imagine this problem is even worse when temperatures are cold. I took some very fine files and worked the trigger sear hole until it moved freely on the pin. This only took a few minutes. You don't want a sloppy fit. Once I was able to move pin freely in the trigger sear, I put trigger back together. The spring now has enough force to push trigger sear for a proper trigger reset.

You can order new pin and trigger sear for less than $20 of you don't want to modify the current. But it is the trigger sear hole and/or pin that's the issue.

Good to know Craver thanks. Yeah these browning factory triggers are pathetic. No regrets changing out to a Timney.