Browning X-bolt 7mm08

My wife has a X bolt bolt in 7mm-08 as well as my daughters Savage Axis, my step sons TC Venture and my R-25. Our favorite load is Noslers 140 GR ballistic tip (or Accubond) over 42 GR of Varget. The TC will put 3 shots into .3 to .4 MOA at 100 yards. The X bolt will do .5 MOA, followed by the Savage and the R-25 at about .75 MOA.

That load makes sense compared to the load I found today as pressures and velocity are about the same between the charges of those 2 powders.

That load makes sense compared to the load I found today as pressures and velocity are about the same between the charges of those 2 powders.

Maybe I'll have to try the 8208 if Varget becomes scarce around here again. I still have some on the shelf somewhere.

Attachments

• 20150924_125828.jpg
    20150924_125828.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 84
  • 20150924_125813.jpg
    20150924_125813.jpg
    138.5 KB · Views: 62
Maybe I'll have to try the 8208 if Varget becomes scarce around here again. I still have some on the shelf somewhere.

Let me know, I have some Varget that I've tried in 3 different rifles. It just so happens the only one that shot it good was the Howa 7mm08 that I traded for this Xbolt but that's not saying much.

Let me know, I have some Varget that I've tried in 3 different rifles. It just so happens the only one that shot it good was the Howa 7mm08 that I traded for this Xbolt but that's not saying much.

I tried Imr 4166 when I couldn't get Varget. I wasn't impress with the accuracy or velocity, plus it was too fast to cycle the R-25 action reliably. I have four guns that shoot the Nosler/Varget load sub MOA. So far I just can't seem to improve on that so I quit trying.

Very nice group IMO. Are you getting good velocity?

I don't check my velocities until I have my load. Going to load some more up tonight and check tomorrow. I don't think it will be a hotrod. The book says the load is in the 2700's but with the 20" barrel probably less than that.

Most shots being between 200 to 400 yards, it will be plenty.

Which Monarch did you put on that rifle? My wife's just inherited my old discontinued 5x20x44 SF BDC off of my 300 RUM. With the exception of the brake and the scope mounts it looks like the right handed twin of hers.

Which Monarch did you put on that rifle? My wife's just inherited my old discontinued 5x20x44 SF BDC off of my 300 RUM. With the exception of the brake and the scope mounts it looks like the right handed twin of hers.

4 to 16 X 42 or 44 can't remember, to lazy to go measure. Monarch. Good scopes just need more adjustment.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.