Browning Hells Canyon Twist Rate

When I was looking for a 28 Nosler a little over a year ago I could find nothing with better than 1:9 in any of the factory or semi-custom rifles available at the time. A 1:8 Browning would have certainly been worth looking at.

I'll measure the twist when I get back home in a couple days to validate the stamp on the barrel is correct, thanks guys.

When in doubt, your "actual" measurement is best. I hope that right barrel is bored (for .284 cal and not .264 cal) , chambered (7MM RM and not 6.5 CM), and stamped properly.

"IF" everything is good, Browning IS setting the precedence for others to follow - a win for all of us.

Good luck and happy safe shooting and hunting.

Last edited:
If you want to get technical, majority of EVERY major gun manufacturer's customers don't obsess over twist rates
Which is why "listening to their customers" would make no difference.

Snyper, If thats the case make them 8s and the 9 guys won't notice the difference.
Most don't notice the difference now and it costs nothing to leave them as they are rather than change for a small minority following the latest trends.

I'm not sure why this is turning negative and we have to make fun of the average hunter. At one point and time, 9 out of 10 of us, fit in that category. 1 out of 10, is in denial. :)

I do know, 12-24 months ago, I had zero interest in anything Browing. They're doing something right. I've changed my mind. Especially after my experiences with a Hells Canyon Speed in 6.5 Creedmoor. Just under MOA, to well under MOA: every group, every time, every trip, including factory ammo and handloads.

Maybe Browning sees an opportunity to gain some market share by mixing things up a little bit? Leave that average hunter mentality for The Board at Remington (Great guns, just a very boring, stale, lineup).

There's a Hells Canyon Long Range, 7mm Mag, @ a local Sportsmans Warehouse. I just need an hour of free time to confirm if it's 1:8 twist and i'll be taking it home with me.

Last edited:
Which is why "listening to their customers" would make no difference.

Most don't notice the difference now and it costs nothing to leave them as they are rather than change for a small minority following the latest trends.
You do realize that unlike the cartridges they are chambered for, heavy-for-caliber bullets is not a "trend" and is used amongst a wide variety of different cartridges. So, whether a certain trendy cartridge become obsolete or not, another will always be there to take its place, using the same heavy-for-caliber bullets.

I'm betting this is a new thing, and rifles sold last year probably have the standard twist rates listed on the webpage. Unfortunate for some who already bought, but great for those in the market.

I think this is great! These will shoot our heavier monos that most rifles can't shoot.

The problem for the market comes when ammo is made for the faster twist and guys try to run it in slow twist rifles. Ammo market may not try and chase the faster twist long range market and just leave it to the hand loader. Most long range guys roll their own anyway.

Steve

in that link the western hunter 7 rem mag say 9 1/2, the 28 nosler says 9 then the hells canyon both say 8 I guess they are covering most shooters if those #s are right kind of odd

Yes, they really are.
The vast majority still hunt at less than 200 yards and have no need for the latest, greatest high BC heavyweight bullets.
That doesn't make it a "trend". Trends come and go rather quickly. The fact that every major bullet manufacturer has started building heavy-for-caliber high-BC bullets, is a sign that the "game" (hunting and shooting) is changing.

The reason cartridges are a trend, and not bullets, is because bullet calibers are pretty much finite at this point, and now that there are so many different weights and options and so many different manufacturers building rifles in more modern twist rates, they will always continue to make them, while continuing to improve on their designs. Cartridges and wildcats are still pretty unlimited, despite there already being so many out there. Manufacturers will abandon a cartridge at the drop of a hat, if they see its popularity dwindling...Berger is not just going to drop the 180 Hybrid overnight, there are still TONS of people who shoot them, and will always shoot them. Prime example of why cartridges are trends, is the .260 Remington. Remington came out with it 10 years before the 6.5CM, but because at the time, Remington's sales weren't meeting their predictions and expectations, so they decided to completely drop the cartridge and support for it, losing out big time at a chance for their own piece of the 6.5 craze market. But that's another conversation, and I don't want to derail this thread.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.