Browning Hells Canyon Twist Rate

Since I'm not home for a couple days and I didn't want to wait to get home and measure it, I called Browning tech support. They confirmed the twist is 1-8".
Did you happen to ask if ALL of their different 7mm chamberings and all of their rifle models in 7mm chamberings are going to be coming with 8" twist barrels from now on? Or just the HC LR 7mmRM?

View attachment 88948 I bought a browning hells canyon long range today in 7mm rem mag. Everywhere on the internet says it is a 1:9.5" twist barrel, including brownings website. To my surprise, my barrel is stamped 1:8" twist. Does anyone else have a 7mm HC long range? If so, what is the barrel stamped? I hope it is indeed 1:8 so I can stabilize the 195 berger eol's.

Is this the base model Hells Canyon Long Rang (synthetic stock) or the Hells Canyon Long range McMillan? My guess is they're the same but thought I'd ask.

I'm very curious to know this as well. That would make me think about buying a factory rifle again
I don't like the X-Bolts, but I'll be the first to tell you, I'd consider buying one of these HC LR's in 7mmRM or .28 Nosler if they are all 1:8 twist barrels. Then I could finally shoot the 3 boxes of 195's I've had sitting around since the first week they were released, back when they were called the "EOL" bullets. Ashamed to admit that they've accumulated a nice layer of dust from sitting on the shelf... But I never got around to buying a 1:8 twist blank, then the job issues started 2 years ago, and since then, haven't had any extra funds for toys...

I'm very curious to know this as well. That would make me think about buying a factory rifle again

I didn't ask specifically, but the guy on the phone instantly knew the answer and was very sure(as if he had already been asked this question a million times). I'm a little surprised there is nowhere on the internet that addresses this. 28 Nosler is listed at 1:9 on the browning website, that has got to be wrong too.

The majority of their customers don't really obsess over twist rates, and are perfectly happy with the current 1/9 7mm's.
If you want to get technical, majority of EVERY major gun manufacturer's customers don't obsess over twist rates, because most of them don't even know about twist rates. Most of their customers still shoot factory ammo, and hunt at less than 300 yards. In which case, bullet stability (twist rates) and special heavy-for-caliber high-BC bullets and ammo don't mean anything at that short of a distance.

Also, Remington doesn't use a 1:9... They use a 1:9.25"...Which is even worse. Despite what women tell you, when it comes to stabilization, that extra 1/4-inch DOES make a difference.

Last edited:
I was looking at the HC Long Range McMillan this afternoon - it only said "7mm Rem Mag" with no designation of twist rate. I wonder if these new twist rates are on newer production rifles.

I'd definitely go with a 28 Nosler if it had a 1:8.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.