Browning Hells Canyon Twist Rate

I think this is great! These will shoot our heavier monos that most rifles can't shoot.

The problem for the market comes when ammo is made for the faster twist and guys try to run it in slow twist rifles. Ammo market may not try and chase the faster twist long range market and just leave it to the hand loader. Most long range guys roll their own anyway.

Steve
Steve, I agree 100%, but at the same time, a 1:8 twist is not going to have any adverse effects on a 140-168 grain bullet, so shooting most factory ammo shouldn't be a problem. And for those who want to shoot the heavy modern 180-195 grain bullets, it's a blessing to see a rifle company that's not afraid to step up their game and evolve with the sport to allow their customers a choice and the capability to be able to choose any 7mm bullet that is now being offered.

I see this being a HUGE positive for Browning's sales, especially given how well their factory rifles shoot. This is going to give your average guy a TRUE factory LR rifle option that won't require a gunsmith, wait time, extra gunsmithing fees, and they can walk in to the store, and walk out with it that day. Other manufacturers need to take notice of this market potential. I hope Remington and others follow suit.

Remington sort of half-assed it, and put 5R rifling in the new 700 AWR rifle, which is a good thing... But then they went and pulled a stupid and used the old 9.25" twist... You really have to wonder what they're smoking in their R&D department. :confused:

That doesn't make it a "trend". Trends come and go rather quickly. The fact that every major bullet manufacturer has started building heavy-for-caliber high-BC bullets, is a sign that the "game" (hunting and shooting) is changing.
That's just proof they cater to the trends to make money.

Heavy bullets are what they got away from decades ago, when the trend was towards lighter faster projectiles.

Manufacturers will abandon a cartridge at the drop of a hat, if they see its popularity dwindling...Berger is not just going to drop the 180 Hybrid overnight, there are still TONS of people who shoot them, and will always shoot them.

The majority still don't need nor use them.
It's a niche market that's really not that large compared to shooters and hunters overall who just want to kill things at 200 yards or less, which accounts for about 98% of all game.

Have you seen the heavy bullets of yesteryear? They are ballistic boats, that's why they failed. The 6.5 Carcano bullets had the ballistic coefficient of a broken down Buick. They are huge roundnose bullets with a bearing surface as long as the bullet itself... We no longer need lighter and faster to achieve better trajectories. Bullet tech has advanced, and heavies have been proven the way to go for long range. As the game has evolved with folks shooting further and further out, shorter hunting distances are no longer a necessity, even though hunting practices are still going to be the same, based on location and terrain.

Are you sure 98% of all game is killed under 200 yards? Where can I see that statistic?

Last edited:
Now Jewel needs to make a trigger for Browning.

If Browning will change to a good slab style brake for prone shooting...

Can't think of anything else.

Steve

Jewel trigger set at a few oz's is heaven. Just enough to be able to feel it on your trigger finger, then all you have to do is think squeeze and it is gone. Makes it almost impossible to flinch on the squeeze. Also makes it so you can free recoil the rifle. That light of a trigger doesn't let the force on the trigger move the rifle.

Steve

I know that sales is a huge part of the game but why is it browning is not getting good reviews for the hells canyon line? Local shops, Cabela's and local gunsmith all have told me to steer clear of them. That's what got me looking at Christensen arms ridge line ? Either 6.5 or 28, still tosses up on caliber. Anyone have one and real life likes and dislikes, other than trigger?

I know that sales is a huge part of the game but why is it browning is not getting good reviews for the hells canyon line? Local shops, Cabela's and local gunsmith all have told me to steer clear of them. That's what got me looking at Christensen arms ridge line ? Either 6.5 or 28, still tosses up on caliber. Anyone have one and real life likes and dislikes, other than trigger?
They are getting better reviews ? From a random kid behind the counter at the gun store maybe. Every online review I've read, or from an actual owner has been very positive. I own a hc speed in 6.5 cm, and the long range McMillan in 28 Nosler. The speed shoots great, accurate and light, a joy to carry in the mountains. Haven't fired my 28 yet. Both have aftermarket trigger springs, but are box stock otherwise.

I understand and would really like to get my hands on one and fire a few shots to see how it actually feels. Could save me about $800 that can go into scope purchase over extra cost in Christensen!

I also had a 6.5 Creed in the Speed. Bought a Game Scout from McMillan for it. Plan on buying a 7mm HC Long Range (find the 1:8 twist one). Either buy a stock from McMillan, or just buy the HC Long Range McMillan.

Cons:
Trigger pull weight. Trigger is actually nice but heavy.

link to spring to help with that:
https://www.mcarbo.com/browning-x-bolt-trigger-spring-kit.aspx

HC Speed has non standard threading on brake (HC Long Range is a standard)

Radial Brake (Wish it was side port)

Pro's:
Super accurate
Smooth Action
Fit and finish is nice
Lightweight (Speed and Long Range)
Comes with brake from factory (better than nothing)
Price point is great, considering the features

The gunsmiths will tell you they suck because it cuts into their wallets. The ******* kids behind the counters at big box stores don't know crap about crap as it is, so are you really gonna trust them? Just saying...

All of my A-Bolt II rifles have shot great box-stock from the factory. Only reason I rebarreled my latest one, is because the barrel went south after about 150-200 rounds of shooting it at the range.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts