Browning hells canyon pressure problems

amork

I've got a browning x bolt hells canyon lr 1 in 8 twist 300 win mag I've been messing around with load development on. At first I shot 200 grain accubonds and found a good load there. I ran out of those so I tried working up a load with 180 sst's and starting having some weird pressure issues. I started at 66 grains of h4831 (minimum load)and a 180 sst. It was happy there but as soon as I stepped to 66.5, it blew a primer out. This is the second 180 bullet that has done this for me near minimum load. Can a gun just not like a certain powder? I shot federal 180 factory ammo when it was new and had no issues. Then moved to 200grain accubonds and didn't have problems. Reloading 180's has been a struggle though. I'm not sure if a gun can just not like a powder like that, if I'm doing something wrong, or if there is just something wrong with the gun. Any help is appreciated!

I have found Hornady bullets to be very very slightly larger diameter than other brands. Causing higher pressures.

Also, swapping between bullet manufacturers that use different jackets can cause fouling issues.

This is the second 180 bullet that has done this for me near minimum load.
What 180 grain bullets did you try before the SST? I'd definitely be checking the diameter of the bullets and my CBTO.
A rifle may not like a certain weight bullet but there's a problem if you are blowing primers at a half grain over starting load.

blowing primers is obviously an over pressure issue. Couple things as already stated. Check bullet diameter compared to bullets that aren't causing issues. Second thing would be to check throat area with a bore scope for a carbon ring. How did the primers feel going in on the ones that blew. How's the brass look now? Other pressure signs ect.

I've got a browning x bolt hells canyon lr 1 in 8 twist 300 win mag I've been messing around with load development on. At first I shot 200 grain accubonds and found a good load there. I ran out of those so I tried working up a load with 180 sst's and starting having some weird pressure issues. I started at 66 grains of h4831 (minimum load)and a 180 sst. It was happy there but as soon as I stepped to 66.5, it blew a primer out. This is the second 180 bullet that has done this for me near minimum load. Can a gun just not like a certain powder? I shot federal 180 factory ammo when it was new and had no issues. Then moved to 200grain accubonds and didn't have problems. Reloading 180's has been a struggle though. I'm not sure if a gun can just not like a powder like that, if I'm doing something wrong, or if there is just something wrong with the gun. Any help is appreciated!
It would be really useful to know the velocities of your loads. You can compare velocities to book values and also between loads. Was there any primer craters on the good loads? Was blown primer pierced? Might need to disassemble bolt to ensure no primer pieces got inside. I agree to confirm bullet diameter. It would be nice to know the velocity of the rounds with blown primer. Place a fired brass in a headspace gage and report back. Example: https://lewilson.com/case-gage