Browning .30-06 Semi Reloading Advice

Wow you are given great advice (many years of gray hair experience).
I have owned several BAR and several thoughts come to mind
1) weight is not light for a 11-18 year old. time will tell if he likes carrying the rifle.
2) Don't need Small based dies just harder to find and not needed. Buy regular dies and load with those,it will work.
3) the free bore distance to the rifling lands is quite a jump so it is very hard to get sub-pinpoint accuracy. I know I tried several things. Granted he is not a target shooter yet but just be forwarned.
4)You could as a suggestion have the barrel ported. This will reduce the recoil but you will have increased noise. Sound deading ear muffs work great and are cheap.
5) let him load some loads to try when he hits the bull-eye after building his own bullet, he will be hooked with memories and achievements. Isn't that what its all about!!!!!!!!!!
BEST OF LUCK PASS ON THE TORCH
ODAVID
Thank you. I already reload with standard dies for my bolt action .30-06, so I'll stick with those. He helps me at times so I'll see if I can get him involved in creating a load for the rifle his grandparents gave him. Great idea. When I had that rifle out yesterday, it was a stark reminder of how hefty it is. He may be a couple / few years from wanting to tote it far. Thanks for sharing!

I have a great friend, he wanted to go elk hunting, but he "thinks" he is recoil sensitive. He could shoot just fine. I was in a position about 15yrs ago to buy him a new BAR in 338 Win Mag. It was one of the newer ones with the unnecessary bolt release lever on the side. I had that thing removed and had the barrel 'Mag Na Ported". I also had a Decelerator pad put on. I sighted it in with the Winchester 200 Silver Ballistic Tip. It is a tack driver. It is also a push instead of a slap in recoil. The 30-06, with one of those Limbsaver Pads will be easy on him too. All the Mag Na Port does is keep any rifle from "raring up" and getting in your face.

I reload for a Shorttrac 7mm WSM, i don't think the gas system is very much different than what you have (the attachment wouldn't display on my computer).

The BAR's lock up as well as any bolt gun, I don't think you need small base dies (I've never used them). Just full length resize all the time.

A good quality 150 gr bullet will work as well as any other weight bullet and will recoil less than a heavier bullet.

Adding a pad will help but might make the length of pull too long for your son, making the rifle awkward for him.

Good luck!

My parents gave my son a Browning .30-06 semi auto rifle some time ago. I think it could be a good step up for my son in the future who is nearly 11 from the 260 Remington he currently shoots when he can handle it and when we begin elk hunting. My hope is that it'll be a bit less recoil than my .30-06 (which is a bolt action; my other centerfire rifle is a braked 300 WM) and I'd start to prep him for the recoil by removing the muzzle break on the 260.
Any advice for reloading for this rifle? I saw a thread from 2014 which reinforced to stick to SAAMI length cartridges for smooth operation. My dad didn't put recoil pads on any of his rifles, so adding one is top of mind for me.

I'd like to stick to a tough bullet for good penetration. We'd keep the shots under 400 when the time comes (estimate based on his shooting progression so far; from the bench or prone with a bipod he shoots 3-5 shots under 1.5 inches at 200 yards with the 260).

Any tips? I've never used one of theses—thank you for the advice!View attachment 155498
If it is a bar 11 why do you just not use your 30-06 bolt action ammo in it? It will handle anything the bolt action will. Why put on a recoil pad and add LOP if it's going to be a youth rifle? The semi-auto will greatly reduce the recoil compared to a bolt action. I would shoot it the way it is first before I made any changes. Just my option.

If it is a bar 11 why do you just not use your 30-06 bolt action ammo in it? It will handle anything the bolt action will. Why put on a recoil pad and add LOP if it's going to be a youth rifle? The semi-auto will greatly reduce the recoil compared to a bolt action. I would shoot it the way it is first before I made any changes. Just my option.

If the recoil is still to high reduce the powder and MV. The BAR 11 will still shoot flawlessly with reduced recoil ammo.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.