30-06 Reloading, new to it

Apothus

I have a Weatherby Vanguard package deal in 30-06 that I will be using for my elk hunt, and for recreational medium range shooting to 600 yards. It's nothing fancy, factory stock and a cheap Redfield scope, but it's what I got for a while. It will hold the Fusion 180 grain bullets around an inch, but sometimes more, so I bought some Reloader 17, dies, and 168 Berger VLD Hunting bullets.

I ended up starting at 3.400 inches in overall length. The book said the max load was 54.4 grains at 93% fill, so I started at 51.5 grains and worked up in half grain increments up to 54 grains. I loaded up my stuff and went to try them out. It was a very nice 80 degrees out today but the wind sucked, blowing in from 5 o'clock to 10 o'clock at 16 to over 20mph.

My results were good for a couple different loads. No pressure signs from any of them. Since this is only my second time ever reloading, and my first time without someone really experienced in doing this, I'd like your opinion on which is best and where to go from here.

Loads 52, 53, and 54, seemed to be pretty consistent elevation wise, but they are spread out horizontally. I'd like to blame that on the wind, but I'm so new to reloading, I don't want to make a wind call and end up chasing a bad load. Load 52.5 was the best of the day. I don't have a chronograph so I don't know the speeds. I'm trying to find someone who has one to shoot with them and ill buy lunch, or possibly borrow one.

So what say you guys? Stick with 52.5? Where do I go from here?

The target by the way is 1 inch boxes with 1/2 circles. The arrows are pointing toward the circle I was aiming at.

Attachments

• 20160515_153020.jpg
    20160515_153020.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 161
Welcome to reloading, after reading your post I see your loading your ammo with R17 powder.That is good powder for the 30/06. But, you should watch how much powder you use in the case, you can cause damage to yourself and your rifle with a under charge of powder as well as an over charge. I don't know what manual you are using, the least charge of R17 powder for the 06 with a 168 gr. bullet is 53 grains. (Nosler load data).

The Berger manual shows a minimum load of 48 grains of Reloader 17 and 54.4 grains as a max. I believe anyways, the manual is at home and I'm on lunch break.

I find it easy to find accuracy, with IMR 4350. Reloader 17 showed promise in my 24" 30-06. But IMR 4350 was more accurate...

You are correct with the Berger manual and the 48-54.4 grains. What range are you shooting at 200? Shooting in the wind sucks mentally anyway. I won't shoot when working up a load unless it is still.

I use RL17 a lot in the 06 and use QuickLoad to get started. I want the powder to burn out right at the end before the bullet leaves the barrel. I have not fooled with the 168gr but have with the 190, 210 and 215gr bullets. The load I now shoot in that rifle is 53.5gr RL17 210gr VLD @ 2735 proven velocity. That rifle has a 26 inch Brux barrel and a Win Pre 64 receiver.

Now my Berger manual shows no RL17 for the 190, 210, and 215. They probably did not test the heavy bullets but stick with the RL17 as it works well with the 30-06 even the heavy bullets.

All those groups are a little open so don't know what to tell you about which to choose. Do it again on a still day and shoot 5 shots each powder step and see what you have.

Ronin is right I use 58grns of imr 4350 and 168 grn bullet, this load is close to compressed , but if ur brass is trimmed at proper length and ur bullet is not jammed u should see good groups

I really don't see any difference in your groups other than 52.5 seemed to be a touch better; I suspect it was simply a matter of error cancelling out. Shoot her again in calm conditions to be sure.

I've loaded for 5 or 6 '06 rifles so far and do currently own one. I like to use around 57gr of I4350 with a 165 hornady with a 215 under it for deer. If I were to load a '06 for elk I'd take something like a 200 sierra or partition and put around 54gr of 4350 under it... I'd possibly look at rl22 or h4831 also...

As much as I don't like the way temp messes with it. RL 19 has shot more screamer groups for me than anything else in the 06 in 150-180 gr bullets. The 165/168 load is 59-59.5(above 40 and below 25) the 150 is 61-61.5
Also imr4064 and the 06 are like vanilla ice cream and warm apple pie. Not fancy or trendy but always good:D

I use H4350 for my Holland custom 30-06 with a 24" barrel...57.2 gr and Rem 9 1/2 large rifle primers. I get about 2840 fps with 180gr Nosler BT with very good results. I am pretty new to reloading as well.

I have taken a cow elk at 290 and several whitetail from 30 to 200 yds with excellent bullet performance

Ok, so since this is for my elk hunt coming up, I want to choose the best bullet I can. I keep reading mixed reviews on the Bergers as far as performance on a large animal. On the other hand, I seem to read a lot of support and positive results on the Nosler Accubond bullets. Would this be a wiser choice? Still would keep it in the 165 grain

Look up Montana marine on here. He has tested the 06 with the 208 amax and I believe he has data with the 215 Berger as well. If Elk is the game then a 180-215 would be much better suited than a 165. A 215 at 2650ish is going to really hit them hard.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.